Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Number 2. I officially done

Started by Hayudog, May 19, 2021, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

As loud mouthed day before yesterday's two year old was, today's bird was silent until his one and only gobble.
Walked in this morning having no idea where anything was. First 1/2 mile in the dark. As it started to get light, I started up the hill. Slow and listening. Nothing. About a mile in decided to try to shock something. And I did. He was completely across the canyon with a marsh between us. No chance I'm walking around it.
Make it to the 3 mile mark, and have not heard a peep.
I sat and decided to just blind call. Every fifteen or so. Nice tree, nice stump to my left. Good pad, and lots of pine needles.
Called over an hour and a half, same spot. Figured I had 2 1/2 miles walking out to walk and call. Merriams are normally vocal. So you hear them coming.
Decided to eat my cold fajitas, before my walk out. Finished up, packed, gun laid to the side. Before I stood up decided , one last call. He cut me off. 50 yards left. Coming down the logging road. Mask on, gun turned and on the stump. He stepped out in strut. Walked to the 40 yard mark, turned sideways, stuck his head up just right.
3? Year old. 1" spurs, 16 lbs 8 1/2" beard.  Tagged out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayudog

Pictures. Wouldn't load on the written post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

Nope, not an upgrade. My Rio was better. These Merriams jus don't carry the weight for an upgrade.

TrackeySauresRex

Great season Dawggy WTG! Congrats on another good one.  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Mountainburd

Nice bird! You represented the team well with your contributions this year.  Congrats again on a great season

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hayudog on May 19, 2021, 07:07:56 PM
These Merriams just don't carry the weight for an upgrade.
Or the spurs. Those birds that live in rough, rocky mountainous terrain always click off the tips of their spurs on rocks.
Congrats Doug!!!! :icon_thumright: You've had a great season!!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Dr Juice

Congrats. You had an awesome season