turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MOLLE vest

Started by ChesterCopperpot, March 28, 2021, 10:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I've never owned or hunted a vest because I've never found one that fits what I carry, so I've always just run a backpack and chest rig. When the Grounded vest came out this year it really interested me because of that left hand main pocket that holds four pot calls and four strikers (I mainly run pots and trumpets). Like always, though, the other side, designed for a box call and extra shells, isn't made for anything I carry. This morning I got to thinking, why hasn't anyone made a MOLLE style vest with aftermarket pockets and pouches? Have a standard vest that you buy and it comes one way—back doesn't change (water bladder, seat, etc.)—but then the entire front set up be MOLLE webbed where a customer could remove what came on it and replace with aftermarket pockets and pouches to fit their specific individual needs. For instance, I love that left hand pocket design on the Grounded vest, and if I could put another one just like that on the right hand side I'd be all in. Eight pots and eight strikers. But if it was designed like that you could have locator call pouches, striker pouches, pushpin pouches, whatever a person wanted. Some folks might want to double the box call pockets. Fully customizable. Why doesn't this exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 28, 2021, 10:18:09 AM
I've never owned or hunted a vest because I've never found one that fits what I carry, so I've always just run a backpack and chest rig. When the Grounded vest came out this year it really interested me because of that left hand main pocket that holds four pot calls and four strikers (I mainly run pots and trumpets). Like always, though, the other side, designed for a box call and extra shells, isn't made for anything I carry. This morning I got to thinking, why hasn't anyone made a MOLLE style vest with aftermarket pockets and pouches? Have a standard vest that you buy and it comes one way—back doesn't change (water bladder, seat, etc.)—but then the entire front set up be MOLLE webbed where a customer could remove what came on it and replace with aftermarket pockets and pouches to fit their specific individual needs. For instance, I love that left hand pocket design on the Grounded vest, and if I could put another one just like that on the right hand side I'd be all in. Eight pots and eight strikers. But if it was designed like that you could have locator call pouches, striker pouches, pushpin pouches, whatever a person wanted. Some folks might want to double the box call pockets. Fully customizable. Why doesn't this exist?

You just hit on a potential patent. A convertible vest with interchangeable pocket/holders/pouches. Kinda of a "Matrix" vest that caters to the type of calls you carry. I think it's a score my friend.  You develop that, you will score. Everyone in the turkey woods is always searching for the perfect vest.

Dazzler

Didn't the under armour vest have a similar setup?

Dtrkyman

There are Molle loops on the RNG vests

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Dazzler on March 28, 2021, 10:37:12 AM
Didn't the under armour vest have a similar setup?

Never seen that vest! Does look like it employed MOLLE webbing on the front. Do you know if the pockets were available aftermarket where they were interchangeable? And overall the rest of that vest design is garbage. To really get it right I think you'd have to have each section strapped together so that you could adjust for width and height like some of the really popular designs nowadays. Then you'd need pockets/pouches designed to fit the narrow shoulder strap sections, and larger pouches to fit the abdominal section, all available aftermarket where a customer could customize the setup. A company I could see doing it really right would be someone like Mystery Ranch.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 28, 2021, 10:56:46 AM

There are loops available but the main compartments aren't attached by webbing, available aftermarket, or interchangeable. They could make those changes, though, pretty easily and likely have the best vest ever made.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Hunt Redi makes a uplands vest that is fully customizable.  Not sure why they or someone else hasn't done the same thing for turkey.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 28, 2021, 11:04:46 AM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 28, 2021, 10:56:46 AM

There are loops available but the main compartments aren't attached by webbing, available aftermarket, or interchangeable. They could make those changes, though, pretty easily and likely have the best vest ever made.

I have the RNG 300, and immediately wished it had the molle loops on both the left and right side instead of the silly elastic pocket intended for a water bottle. Better having the molle and connect a holster specifically designed to hold a water bottle tight.

Think you are onto a clever idea here. Keep it low profile like a RNG with zipper pockets then just molle on your pot, box, thermacell, water bottle, etc. to customize the way you hunt - make it exactly how you want it to be.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Ranger

Chief Upland makes a vest like this they're calling their turkey edition
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: Ranger on March 28, 2021, 01:03:39 PM
I just looked those up..I'd love to try one of those on!!

MtnMuley

I bought the UA vest specifically because it had molle and I could move the pouches exactly where I wanted and add my own pockets and pouches as well.

Ranger

Several upland hunting vest makers are about to tap into this market. They've been using USA made materials and craftsmanship and make vests for men who cover miles a day, makes sense.  I forget the one that was out 2 years ago but the Chief Upland looks sweet as far as quality and durability. If I was going to spend around $200 for any vest, USA made would be the first requirement
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

NYArcher24

I have the UA vest and never used it. I'd sell it if someone is interested.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Ranger on March 28, 2021, 01:03:39 PM
Man that's getting real close to what I'm envisioning. Needs a better seat, and needs better pouch options, pouch options specifically designed for turkey calls. Ultimately needs a sit down with a turkey hunter to say this is what we're looking for. But that's the right frame for sure! They get that right and they'll really have something.

Sungrazer

Does anyone have the Chief Turkey vest? Is it made in USA? I bought a RNG300 this spring and was not very impressed with the Chinese material and craftsmanship. 1000 Cordura is tough stuff! And should hold up to many years of service.