OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Comfort tip  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
Comfort tip
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:44:11 AM »
If I know I will be sitting for a while, I dig a shallow bowl the size of my butt at the base of my tree. Then I put my seat cushion on top and sit. This helps prevent you from sliding away from the tree. It is also more comfortable and allows me to sit longer.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Comfort tip
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:48:19 PM »
Great idea, but it would require me to carry an additional item, a spade to dig out a depression for the cushion.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »
About everywhere I hunt seems like I'm sitting on a sidehill. I'll find a dead branch about 4-6 inches in diameter and a few feet long, and use it as a wedge in front of my seat cushion. Another way to keep from sliding away from the base of the tree.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »
COMFORT TIP---Turkey chair!  Saves your rear end on roots and keeps it from getting wet, more comfortable then a tree up your back and it sleeps better when you need a little siesta.  Being comfortable while turkey hunting is a MUST since it keeps you from moving around and keeps you in the woods LONGER.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 10:26:09 PM »
The fellas who recommended the aluminum version of the Alps chair sold for camping were on it. My .410 and that chair combined weigh less than my old 3.5" 12ga alone. Comfort!

Online Gmed

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 10:50:05 PM »
About everywhere I hunt seems like I'm sitting on a sidehill. I'll find a dead branch about 4-6 inches in diameter and a few feet long, and use it as a wedge in front of my seat cushion. Another way to keep from sliding away from the base of the tree.

This is exactly what I do...very little of my turkey territory is flat. The steeper the hill, the larger the branch has to be in diameter, but with a decent seat, its comfy for a long time....

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 11:01:43 PM »
I’ll prob regret this when someone patents and licenses it. But this is how I set up my seat pad. It’s unlimited leveling capabilities.

Just glue this to your seat cushion where the rounded part faces the ground when you sit. You can roll however needed to get right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 11:10:08 PM »
The fellas who recommended the aluminum version of the Alps chair sold for camping were on it. My .410 and that chair combined weigh less than my old 3.5" 12ga alone. Comfort!
Is the only color they have orange and black of the aluminum ? I looked at these last year but got the heavier one in tan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 11:32:57 PM »
I just use my boot or a stick, doesn’t have to be deep. Just enough to make a small bowl, and leave the dirt so it is under the front of your seat. I sometimes add a stick to make it a little higher.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
I’ll prob regret this when someone patents and licenses it. But this is how I set up my seat pad. It’s unlimited leveling capabilities.

Just glue this to your seat cushion where the rounded part faces the ground when you sit. You can roll however needed to get right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup. HS Strut will copy you tootie sweetie. They didn't give me a cut off their chest pack, neither.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
Is the only color they have orange and black of the aluminum ? I looked at these last year but got the heavier one in tan

That is all I found. Sprayed it black. Three gobblers and a pile of hens have seen it, with a 10 year old girl sitting in it, and did not notice.

Alps sells the heavier version in camo. Good chair but the aluminum is nicer to carry and cooler to sit in.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 11:29:50 PM »
I use an old Buckwing Turkey Seat.  Aluminum and camo webbing. It's solid frame, lightweight and does not fold. The front legs are longer than the back and you sit back against the tree. It is very comfortable.  I tried the folding model seats in the past and they would never last, not sturdy enough. Sometimes I use a cushion on it. Nice being up off the ground too.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
I attached an old cushion to the existing cushion on my vest. Works pretty good for me. I cant use any of the turkey chairs. I cant stand not being able to shift if a turkey circles me.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
I tried the stick trick and have to admit it worked pretty darn good. I'll be using that trick when ever the sticks are available.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »

That is all I found. Sprayed it black. Three gobblers and a pile of hens have seen it, with a 10 year old girl sitting in it, and did not notice.

Alps sells the heavier version in camo. Good chair but the aluminum is nicer to carry and cooler to sit in.
You remember what kind of paint you used? I tried to paint a chair one time awhile back with rust-o-elum and it wouldn’t stick on painted aluminum