News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Green lights

Started by bigbird, March 27, 2021, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CALLM2U

Quote from: turkeykiller41 on March 31, 2021, 04:20:15 PM
Going without a light is ok unless you step on a big snake,this is what happened to me last year.

Beat me to it!  The last time I walked in w/out a light I stepped 6 inches from a rattler.  Luckily he was cold and I got away unscathed. 

But to quote Michael Scott "Fool me once, strike one.  Fool me twice, strike three"

Cut N Run

I use a Streamlight Stylus penlight with a green lens that I keep in my fist with the bulb shielded by my pinky finger and keep the light pointed straight down ahead of my feet.  If I need more light, I open my pinky slightly, but I can also close off light completely by tightening my grip.  I have walked under and past turkeys on the roost (didn't know they were there) and didn't bust them with that technique.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

West Augusta

I use a green cap light.  Keeps me from walking into trees in the dark.  Take it off the cap and partially cover it to lessen the amount of light when I get close to my setup site.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

paboxcall

Quote from: West Augusta on March 31, 2021, 06:21:12 PM
I use a green cap light.  Keeps me from walking into trees in the dark.  Take it off the cap and partially cover it to lessen the amount of light when I get close to my setup site.

Same here.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Kylongspur88

If I'm using a light I'll use a red light to get within a few hundred yards then go dark. If I stick to a red light or no light my eyes adjust pretty quickly

Paulmyr

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 29, 2021, 10:30:52 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 29, 2021, 10:21:24 PM
Seems to me I once read that turkeys don't see the green light.  I think that article said they certainly see red as they can see the head color of the tom and the changes in it's color.
I prefer no light, but if you need one, I think green would be a good choice.
That is correct and the reason that I use a green light. The one I use is pretty bright and have never spooked a turkey with it yet. Had bad luck with white and red ones though. A light is something I have to use because of my balance issues so I did a lot of reading before I got one and they are the best. I have been wondering about one of those blue lights but it would seem to me a turkey would see blue as well. I also use them during deer season.

The thought that turkeys don't see green intrigued me so I checked into it. From what I've read turkey see colors very well. They actually have more light receptors than humans. It seems they see the full spectrum of colors and UV light. Wash your hunting clothes with tide? You may want to rethink this.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

justin_wv

I use the red light as it doesn't bother my night vision as bad. Almost kicked a skunk while walking in a field early one morning. Now I always walk in with a light. But then again I don't worry much about getting super close to birds. I wanna give the bird a "sporting chance". LoL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 03, 2021, 02:59:17 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 29, 2021, 10:30:52 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 29, 2021, 10:21:24 PM
Seems to me I once read that turkeys don't see the green light.  I think that article said they certainly see red as they can see the head color of the tom and the changes in it's color.
I prefer no light, but if you need one, I think green would be a good choice.
That is correct and the reason that I use a green light. The one I use is pretty bright and have never spooked a turkey with it yet. Had bad luck with white and red ones though. A light is something I have to use because of my balance issues so I did a lot of reading before I got one and they are the best. I have been wondering about one of those blue lights but it would seem to me a turkey would see blue as well. I also use them during deer season.

The thought that turkeys don't see green intrigued me so I checked into it. From what I've read turkey see colors very well. They actually have more light receptors than humans. It seems they see the full spectrum of colors and UV light. Wash your hunting clothes with tide? You may want to rethink this.
Quick reply as I have to get ready to go, from what I had read the eyes have certain "cones" (All God's creations have these cones) for certain colors and though they see many they do not have the cone that would see the color green. I will try to find it when I get home.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Paulmyr

The article I read said humans 1 rod and 3 single cones allowing us to see a broad spectrum of colors. Turkeys however have 1 rod, 4 single cones, and 2 double cones allowing them to see colors better than humans along with UV wave lengths according to the article. Here's the link

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/eyes-turkey-gobbler-sees/
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 03, 2021, 06:21:37 AM
The article I read said humans 1 rod and 3 single cones allowing us to see a broad spectrum of colors. Turkeys however have 1 rod, 4 single cones, and 2 double cones allowing them to see colors better than humans along with UV wave lengths according to the article. Here's the link

On the road now but I saw that one ad well ad another that said they had more than that. Has been a bit since I read about the green so maybe it is newer science that changed/updated what I had read when I was getting back into hunting 6 or so years ago. I will try to find out though, wish Mr. Williams was still alive and posting here, he would be the one to ask for sure.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Spitten and drummen

No light for me. All birds see in color. Not saying you cant get under them with a green light but I would prefer not to test the theory of turkeys cant see them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

PaytonWP

I use a small normal colored pen light. I turn it on and then keep my thumb over the end. I flash it on and off by moving my thumb to see where I'm going. I'm trying to mimic a lightning bug. I stop, flash my light to see my next 10 yards or so and then walk it, Repeat. I think I've spooked way more turkeys out of trees by thrashing around in the dark with no light. Plus it's just not worth it to possibly step on a snake or worse.  A couple of years ago I walked in to a new place without a light and on the way out I noticed that I had walked about 3 foot from an old hand dug well opening. Thank God I did not fall into it.

catman529

No light when sneaking on roosted birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shoregobbler

I never use a light of any kind. But, I know the land I am hunting very well.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 03, 2021, 06:21:37 AM

I wanted to let you know I am still trying to find that but don't seem to be able to. Found another that clearly stated deer do not see red or green but that is not the one I am looking for.

John Koenig: