OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got an Osceola, I think

Started by Southerngobbler, March 27, 2021, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

Traveled a little south recently to a WMA about a hour and a half south of the line the FWC draws for Osceolas. Got this bird on the first day, looked like a two year old, came in quiet. Just heard some semi aggressive purring behind me and that was him getting nervous. Shot him before he could make an exit. Used a new metal mouth II and an ET one sider. It's body weight was smaller than the usual eastern I get in north FL. I'd be happy with it whether it was an Osceola or not . The wing when compared to an eastern does look a little darker. I'm curios to know if this is what an Osceola  wing looks like to most ppl that hunt them. I'll try and download a wing pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

You got him, good job! Sure do look like some dark wings to me.

Southerngobbler

I'm not sure if this wing pic is gonna come through or not, if so the osceola is on the left and a regular eastern from north florida is on the right
Geeeeez, it took me seven try's to download that pic and then it flipped it. I guess the Osceola is on the right now.

WV Flopper

Maybe the way your holding the camera, looks like the Osceola is in front of your right hand.

Southerngobbler

Yes, for some reason the picture flipped. The osceola is the bottom right. At least the pic of me holding the bird isn't upside down or sideways, thats a first.

guesswho

I'd call him an Osceola.   But but a good possibility he has some eastern in him.   The further South you go the more prominent those dark wings become.  With a South Florida Osceola there's no doubt when you see one and put your hands on him.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Wvdanimal

Nope, not even close actually.  20 yrs busting heads in deep s. Florida

Dtrkyman

Who cares, he's a Tom he gets it!

Don't care what color wings tail feathers are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Yoteduster

joey46

Nice bird.  These discussions come up every year.  The "magic line" is no more than a best guess based on more than science IMO.  Of course there are going to be hybrids but when some hunting operations get $2000 and up for an Osceola the word "hybrid" is often frowned upon.  Look through FWC's Outstanding Gobbler Registry and note the weights of the bird's from the northern counties that are still well below the magic line.  Draw your own conclusions.  A turkey really doesn't change back and forth from an Eastern to a Osceola as he flies back and forth across the Suwannee River but he can get a whole lot more expensive.  I remember an old argument on the NWTF's forum where a guy was looking for a DNA test.  Geez!
Starting to see a few of these discussions pop up out west regarding "true" Merriams.  A nice gobbler is a nice gobbler and the big birds deserve better.

joey46

My buddy and I have made this guy our target gobbler.  He is/was located far below the "magic line" and runs this swampy area.  He seldom gobbles.  If one of us lucks out we won't care his true linage.  His one visible spur is truly epic.  The other likely matches.
BTW - there is nothing more frustrating than trying to get pictures to post on this forum.  Grr!  Resized three times.

GobbleNut

Quote from: joey46 on March 29, 2021, 03:43:49 AM
Nice bird.  These discussions come up every year.  The "magic line" is no more than a best guess based on more than science IMO.  Of course there are going to be hybrids but when some hunting operations get $2000 and up for an Osceola the word "hybrid" is often frowned upon.  Look through FWC's Outstanding Gobbler Registry and note the weights of the bird's from the northern counties that are still well below the magic line.  Draw your own conclusions.  A turkey really doesn't change back and forth from an Eastern to a Osceola as he flies back and forth across the Suwannee River but he can get a whole lot more expensive.  I remember an old argument on the NWTF's forum where a guy was looking for a DNA test.  Geez!
Starting to see a few of these discussions pop up out west regarding "true" Merriams.  A nice gobbler is a nice gobbler and the big birds deserve better.

Exactly!  Decades ago there was a great debate about the Osceola turkey and whether it should even be considered a separate subspecies when DNA analysis showed that it was essentially genetically identical to the Eastern subspecies.  That DNA analysis and that conclusion were quickly buried in the "turkey hunting X-Files"!  ...Go figure!   ;D :angel9:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 29, 2021, 02:10:13 PM
Exactly!  Decades ago there was a great debate about the Osceola turkey and whether it should even be considered a separate subspecies when DNA analysis showed that it was essentially genetically identical to the Eastern subspecies.  That DNA analysis and that conclusion were quickly buried in the "turkey hunting X-Files"!  ...Go figure!   ;D :angel9:
$$$$$$$
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeyman

I killed a couple birds years ago...1988...inland of Sarasota. I imagine they were Osceolas.