OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Which State Do You Think Has The Most Residents That Have 100+ Turkeys Killed?

Started by quavers59, March 23, 2021, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

Illegally killed....Kansas.
Idk otherwise but the road hunters who just drink beer and shoot  around here need a cane switch
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Gumby

Quote from: eggshell on March 23, 2021, 06:14:45 PM
An old timer once told me, "if your still counting you ain't killed enough". I was a young cocky guy then, now I'm an old guy and I understand what he was saying. I would be hard pressed to tell you within 10 of how many I've killed, unless I get out the photo album and count, even it's missing a few. Some have asked me and I gave a number but it was a guess. I ain't killed as many as a lot of guys, but more than some. I know this, I plan to kill as many as I buy tags for this year.
This....ditto

Howie g

I stopped counting some years back.
Besides , a gentleman never tells ????

Yelper

Quote from: Tom007 on March 23, 2021, 06:01:57 PM
Texas is my thoughts

What would lead you to think Texas?  The #'s below are just for the spring season and some that is your limit both fall and spring combined.
Few exceptions are the states that allow you to harvest hens during the fall season.

I'm sure I missed some states that have limit's over 3 but not sure.

Alabama has always been 5, up to this year
Texas- 4
Georgia-3
South Carolina- use to be 4 now it is 3
Tenn-3
Miss-3
Kansas-2 or 4 total including fall season
South Dakota- I was not able to figure out

randy6471

I stopped counting long ago, but I also believe it really comes down to opportunities.

I've always lived in Pa, so for many years it was 1 and done as Mountainburd said and that limited the opportunities.

I've always had access to private land, usually with lots of turkeys and very little hunting pressure, which of course gave me many more opportunities.

For as long as I've turkey hunted Pa has had a fall season, which provides more opportunities.

Due to the one bird tag and my desire to hunt turkeys, it caused me to often take someone else as a shooter or to be very selective about filling that one tag. If they count that's more opportunities.

In an effort to get started sooner, keeping hunting longer or just squeeze in more hunting time, I've traveled to other states in the spring for almost 30 years and given myself many more opportunities by doing it.

the Ward

The only way i'm ever going to be able to kill 100+ birds is if i go work at a poultry farm!

Cowboy

I'd say those multiple limit southern states would be it. I've got a younger brother who is all about the " numbers". Last year, he killed his limit in a multiple bird state as well in our home state with 3 here. I killed one gobbler here. I wouldn't trade my one for all of his. Quality not Quanity in my book. 

TXTOM

Hook hanger

Alabama,  Missouri, Texas those states have had good populations since the 80s and can kill multiple birds in each. I can easily see numerous hunters in each of them having killed 100+ if they have hunted them for any length of time.  I seen where someone mentioned poachers so I will tell a little story about them. In the mid 90s around where I lived I knew of some bad people that would consistently kill around 100 birds a year that done this for close to 10yrs. The warden always said he had to catch them in the act before he could do anything about it. Crazy times during that period with a booming population.

Ranger

Ooooweeee this is getting intriguing now.  Anyone heard of the 100" Club?
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Dtrkyman

I never counted, only counts I remember are I once guided guys to 6 birds in 6 hunts over about 2 weeks, that just sticks with ya.

I also remember guiding 21 consecutive days one on one, funny thing is, guess what I did the next day, yep went and killed a bird myself!

THattaway

Quote from: Yelper on March 23, 2021, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 23, 2021, 06:01:57 PM
Texas is my thoughts

What would lead you to think Texas?  The #'s below are just for the spring season and some that is your limit both fall and spring combined.
Few exceptions are the states that allow you to harvest hens during the fall season.

I'm sure I missed some states that have limit's over 3 but not sure.

Alabama has always been 5, up to this year
Texas- 4
Georgia-3
South Carolina- use to be 4 now it is 3
Tenn-3
Miss-3
Kansas-2 or 4 total including fall season
South Dakota- I was not able to figure out

SC used to be 5. I know for a fact.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Brian Fahs

Pennsylvania gets my vote.

Not likely many or any kill 100 exclusively in this state due to a one bird limit for a long time until increased to 2 spring birds a few years ago.

However this state is full of hunters who travel extensively and love to fill tags. Many are very good at it. In my opinion it's the desire to hunt a lot and a lot of states that pushes the kill numbers up.

ccleroy

SC used to be a 5 bird state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro