OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Youth Hunt  (Read 2151 times)

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Youth Hunt
« on: March 18, 2021, 08:43:15 AM »
Saturday will be the first hunt ever for my eldest son.  I bought him a Stevens 301T 410. I had a Stevens 301 compact as I was hardheaded and was going to make him use a bead, but I learned that lesson as he was not quite ready. I switched the compact stock onto the 301T as it has a weaver mount. I topped the gun with a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot. I ordered some Apex 9.5 TSS, that really hurt the ole pocket but if he kills just one I will buy another box with a grin.

Well I finally was able to get out today to pattern the gun and get it dialed in. We will begin working this week on shooting the gun in the hunting position and practicing shooting. He will be practicing with the lead 7.5s and I will slip in the turkey load when hunting.

Here is the gun:

Here is the 40 yard pattern, I plan to let him shoot 30-40 yards so the pattern is wide, but preferably 30-35.

We have been practicing a bit and he is doing great. Plan to keep shooting throughout the week as weather permits. Scouted this weekend and got a plan A, B, C, etc. We will give it our best and hopefully dad can get one in front of him in range.

Yesterday's practice started kind of rough. He was not taking his time and flinching. We talked about what was going one and he complained about cheek slap. No problem. I creating a pad from an old shirt and raised the comb. That seemed to please him and then he shot very well. Ran out of the 1/2oz 9s so we moved on to the 11/16 oz 7s. I was a little nervous about it with him not liking the 9s without the pad, but he shot them like a champ. I never said we switched and I just asked how it was, he was not bothered and wants to shoot the can with paper towel roll next go around. Hopefully we can shoot a couple times today, if weather allows.

Last shot of the practice session:
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Re: Youth Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »
Donald,

Keep us posted.  I picked up the Rossi Tuffy turkey this past Saturday for my youngest and me but don't tell my wife  ;)  I plan to take him out this weekend once the weather clears up to get him used to it.  I picked up the Browning .410 TSS to try out, Macks PW had it at a reasonable price over the weekend.  Tough part is finding .410 field loads for sighting in the red dot and getting comfortable with the gun, my local gun shop has it but their rationing 5 rounds for $9.99.  If he kills a bird with it, it will be all worth it.   

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:59:07 PM »
Awesome good luck to you!

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 06:38:27 AM »
That’s great! Good luck!

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 01:54:06 PM »
Donald,

Keep us posted.  I picked up the Rossi Tuffy turkey this past Saturday for my youngest and me but don't tell my wife  ;)  I plan to take him out this weekend once the weather clears up to get him used to it.  I picked up the Browning .410 TSS to try out, Macks PW had it at a reasonable price over the weekend.  Tough part is finding .410 field loads for sighting in the red dot and getting comfortable with the gun, my local gun shop has it but their rationing 5 rounds for $9.99.  If he kills a bird with it, it will be all worth it.   

Jim,
Will do.  I think you will like the Rossi.  I looked hard at them but I had that compact stock and some chokes so I just stuck with the Stevens.  I have a box of the Browning and have shot them and they did pretty good!  If you need any more then please let me know.  I had trouble finding target loads as well. Had a half a box of 9s from last year but that was it.  I was fortunate to have a gentleman from a local forum send so to me.  I offered to pay but he said they were a gift for my son.  I have dropped a lot into it as well but like you said, just one will make it all worth it.  Actually time out in the field with him will make it all worth the time, cost, and effort.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
Cold front moved in today and it is going to be colder tomorrow than expected.  DO not think it will hurt us too badly but we shall see.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 07:28:25 PM »
Good luck

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »
Good luck to you and the boy D..Hope to see pics tomorrow when I check back in!!