OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ammunition prices

Started by ManfromGreenSwamp, March 16, 2021, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

Quote from: MO_HUNTER on March 17, 2021, 07:06:03 AM
Glad I stockpiled some!
I was a hoarder before it was cool also. Been buying ammo up for about the past 5 years. Not that I saw this coming on but if I saw a good deal on some in the calibers I needed I would buy 3 or 4 boxes of it each time

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Turkeytider

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 17, 2021, 07:03:12 AM
What is going on here?

Well, I`ve always thought " gun control " could take more than one form. I`m not necessarily saying that that`s what`s going on, but the result`s the same if you starve them ( guns ) to death.

ManfromGreenSwamp

I know one thing...

If a man is willing to pay $1k-3.5k on a guided sub-species turkey hunt... the last thing I think he would bicker about is even $50 a shell if it meant stone dead harvested bird.
Hell, I think I would pay that for the light years of increased performance over the lead shot of yesteryear just to harvest a bird in my own county...good thing I don't have too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

And.....

if history repeats itself.
The shelves will be restocked one day, prices just above normal again and everyone will be happy with the new normal "cheap" ammo.

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Tom007

If you can't take away the guns, take away the ammunition. Pretty apparent. What needs to happen here is competition. Pop-up small companies reloading various types of hunting ammo (for fair pricing). Not a hard thing to do. Watch what the big companies do, if they see competition that is for real, they will ramp up production. I think this is a supply/demand problem that the big guys think is temporary. Time will tell. Sad...

rakkin6

Quote from: Tom007 on March 17, 2021, 07:15:26 AM
If you can't take away the guns, take away the ammunition. Pretty apparent. What needs to happen here is competition. Pop-up small companies reloading various types of hunting ammo (for fair pricing). Not a hard thing to do. Watch what the big companies do, if they see competition that is for real, they will ramp up production. I think this is a supply/demand problem that the big guys think is temporary. Time will tell. Sad...
I don't know, I think if these big ammo companies could they would be making money now. I saw the new president if Remington (since they got reacquired from bankruptcy) in an interview the other day. He said that their plant in rome is getting ready to reopen and has been modernized and they will be running full capacity. Maybe I am just being optimistic, I just can't imagine the ammo/gun manufacturers being in bed with the government.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tom007

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 17, 2021, 07:21:15 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 17, 2021, 07:15:26 AM
I don't know, I think if these big ammo companies could they would be making money now. I saw the new president if Remington (since they got reacquired from bankruptcy) in an interview the other day. He said that their plant in rome is getting ready to reopen and has been modernized and they will be running full capacity. Maybe I am just being optimistic, I just can't imagine the ammo/gun manufacturers being in bed with the government.

I agree with you, but wouldn't you think they would ramp up to meet supply. Are people buying Turkey TSS for self defense? I am miffed, I agree, optimism is needed, but this is unprecedented. Pretty much, it's unbelievable.....be safe...

High plains drifter

Jmbradt3873

People are buying whatever they can find, I was in the LGS the other day and overheard somebody ask the clerk which size steel shot would work for home defense. I just had to walk away. Glad I still have enough loose buckshot to roll my own if needed. Same with tss, I buy a couple of pounds in January to replace what I will use for patterning and the 2 birds me and my son get to shoot ( if we are lucky)

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on March 17, 2021, 07:11:59 AM
And.....

if history repeats itself.
The shelves will be restocked one day, prices just above normal again and everyone will be happy with the new normal "cheap" ammo.

To a degree I agree with this. However when prices rise in a controled market it is unusual for prices to return to there prior normal. Same issues are impacting gas although the variables are a bit different.

These up spikes in price are becoming more and more regular. Anyone really interested in smoothing the curve should consider reloading. I reload with TSS for shotguns. I also reload for my rifles and pistols. Sure glad they are not charging CC fees on those 99.00 shells as that would be a sure deal breaker for me.  LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

bbcoach

Quote from: Turkeytider on March 17, 2021, 04:30:23 AM
That's just nuts. And to boot, TSS out of a 12 gauge, the ROI just ain't there.
$10 bucks a shell is REALLY hard for me to swallow.  And I've heard others justify that!  This ammo situation is just like our Toilet paper was during the height of COVID.  PRIMO!  TSS is a TOTAL WASTE in a 12 IMO!

rakkin6

I know here where I live in Tennessee people are buying ammo for calibers they don't even own to resell it for 4 times what they paid for it. Nothing worse than a fellow sportsman screwing another sportsman over.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

POk3s

Jeez! Makes me feel better than I bought my heavi shot at $37/box! I cringed doing that but at least I had some. I also bought 3 boxes of .300 win mag at $71/box and nearly broke down in tears. This is the first time in my adult life I've seen this kind of craziness. I remember it happening during the start of the Obama administration but was in my teens and didn't really feel that sticker shock. I know I will be more like you all and not necessarily stockpile, but I won't be turning my nose up when the ammo I need is "low" priced.

rakkin6

I got lucky in the .300 win mag ammo department. I found some 180 grain Winchester Ballistic silvertip ammo on sale locally for $32.00 a box about a year ago before this all started and picked up 10 boxes. At the time I cringed at $350.00 but glad I did it now. And that's the exact ammo I shoot so it worked out good. Just looked some up the other and like you said everything I cod find in stock for the .300 is between. 70 and 80 a box

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

Quote from: POk3s on March 17, 2021, 10:43:32 AM
Jeez! Makes me feel better than I bought my heavi shot at $37/box! I cringed doing that but at least I had some. I also bought 3 boxes of .300 win mag at $71/box and nearly broke down in tears. This is the first time in my adult life I've seen this kind of craziness. I remember it happening during the start of the Obama administration but was in my teens and didn't really feel that sticker shock. I know I will be more like you all and not necessarily stockpile, but I won't be turning my nose up when the ammo I need is "low" priced.
Just found this on federals website. I just picked up 2 boxes.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER