OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 10 inch circle are turkey target  (Read 2399 times)

Offline captfire

10 inch circle are turkey target
« on: March 16, 2021, 02:43:33 PM »
 WHEN PATTERNING IN A GUN WHAT IS BEST A 10 INCH CIRCLE ARE A TURKEY TARGET. I'VE USED BOTH I LIKE THE 10 INCH CIRCLE . ALL SO WHEN U USE A TURKEY TARGET DO U COUNT THE HITS IN THE NECK AND HEAD ARE WHATS IN BRAIN AND NECK BONE....

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: 10 inch circle are turkey target
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 02:55:46 PM »
I like turkey targets with a 10” circle. I never count what’s in the turkey. I just like having the head to hold on as I think it translates to the woods. I do typically count the 10” and usually draw a 20” to count as well, but for the most part I seem to be more of an even pattern guy than a number chaser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »
10" circle. Unless you can get every turkey you shoot at to hold his head in the exact same pose as your turkey target while you draw a bead. If thats the case go with the turkey target.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
I like turkey targets with a 10” circle. I never count what’s in the turkey. I just like having the head to hold on as I think it translates to the woods. I do typically count the 10” and usually draw a 20” to count as well, but for the most part I seem to be more of an even pattern guy than a number chaser.

I like the turkey target as well...  I typically draw the 10 inch circle around the center of the pattern after I shoot  (which to my understanding is the way in which we are supposed to pattern).

When patterning a new gun or choke, I use a paper with a dot...  I start off at 20 yards with the tight choke, and fire three (cheap and light recoiling) target loads at the dot, and see where the pattern is compared to my hold point (i.e. the dot).  Three rounds with a tight choke at that range gives you are really good idea of where the gun (and the shooter) are shooting. 

Most of my guns that are "on" shoot a tad high (which is why most shooters hold point is the base of the neck of a turkey instead of the base of the head).

Once I know that the gun is shooting where it should be, I then fire at a turkey target with a turkey load, and draw the 10" circle....  Sometimes I will do some practicing with target rounds on the turkey target as well, just to get more comfortable with my hold point.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline diyj98

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
I'd downloaded a turkey target off the web, then drew a 10" circle around the head.  I make copies, then have plenty of cheap targets.  They're black and white and don't have any fancy reactive traits, but they do what I need done.

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 03:09:02 PM »
When patterning new shells the 10 inch circle will tell you which shell give the densest pattern.When I shoot once I know which shell I'm using I prefer a turkey head.Although there are some misses I had wished the turkeys head was 10 inches wide.