turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strange Mossberg 835 misfires

Started by mmitchellmoss, March 14, 2021, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Relax, it can be rectified. There`s a lot of 835`s out there. Not many issues.

old3toe

It will probably take a specially sized punch to knock the pin out and possibly from one direction or the other. I've seen some unbelievably small pins used for various applications.
   I hope you are able to figure it out and get it back to 100%. I totally love my 835 but know how people feel that said they got rid of them. The trust in your equipment just has to be there. I've parted with other guns for similar reasons. Once it happens it's hard to try another one.
   Yours doesn't appear to be super dirty but it could still have been sticking. I also wonder if this could be caused by an out of spec charge bar, length being to short. That would restrict the forward pin movement I would think. Or the chamber shell rim recess being to deep as well. Wouldn't take much to cause one to only go boom part of the time.

Tom007

I know Benelli has had a similar problem with the infamous "click" misfires. As it turns out, this problem was caused by the Montefeltro bolt that was not "forcefully shut", and the firing pin barely hit the shell. This bolt rotates until it is fully seated/shut. Owners were having trouble when walking around in the woods, they bumped the bolt and rotated it the smallest bit. This causes the "click" due to the fact the bolt was not fully against the shell. I don't have a Mossberg, so I can't say that that was a contributor. Best of luck......
"Solo hunter"

chipper

I picked up a early 90's 835 from a friend cheap that misfired on a bird several years ago, he was a big duck hunter and used this gun exclusively for duck hunting and I don't think had ever cleaned it, I broke it down and cleaned the insides with hoppes cleaned the magazine spring and sprayed the guts out good with brake cleaner, oiled everything up with 3 in 1 put it back together and it has worked flawlessly for 20 years, there was a lot of crud in that gun!

mmitchellmoss

Hey. Thanks for the support and information guys. I feel like I have done my cleaning and lubing pretty well at this point. I just need to get out and run her through her paces to see what happens. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

old3toe

DUCKDIGGLER

Best wishes! I hope she works out for you because them 835 are pattern MONSTERS! Keep us posted please. :OGturkeyhead: