OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why do some states allow smaller TSS?

Started by Tom007, March 13, 2021, 06:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

There has been a lot of talk and interest in the TSS arena. We all know how efficient it can be in the modern day turkey loads. I am wondering why certain states are still sticking to their "No shot size smaller than 7.5" regulation? You would think these Fish & Game Departments in the various states would communicate and share their findings regarding the efficiency of the smaller TSS. I would think at the very least they should allow Duplex TSS loads that have at least one of the legal/approved sizes in the shell. Any thoughts?
"Solo hunter"

Spring Creek Calls

I believe the hunters in those states must petition their respective Natural Resources Departments for change, if change is desired. If enough voices are heard, it will happen.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

PalmettoRon

Agree. Change is always difficult it seems. Remember when the experts said for wild turkeys to thrive, they needed 5,000 unbroken acres of habitat. The wheels of change grind slowly, but eventually all states will see that TSS even in 9.5 and 10 is a very lethal option. How is bow hunting legal if small size TSS is not out of a sub gauge shotgun in some states?

Spurs Up

Put another way, does there need to be a minimum shot size?  Number 8 lead will do just fine on turkeys if you're close enough.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Bob G.

Vermont was always no shot size less than 8 for turkey hunting. The new rules for 2021 doesn't state it anymore. I contacted VT F&W about the change and found that 9 shot is legal. The change was made because of the TSS shot available for the 410.

I have a Benelli M2 20 gauge on order from my local gun dealer (2 months). I initially bought some Fed HW TSS 3" #7 shot because I didn't know the rules changed. Then got some Fed HW TSS 3" #9. Read here that the M2 might not cycle the 3" Federal TSS ammo. Then got Apex 2 3/4" TSS #9 and TSS Shot 3" #9.

Hoping the M2 arrives in time to pattern before May. Already got a Sumtoy 562 choke and mount for a Burris FF3.

2eagles

The problem in Iowa is that many of the laws that govern hunting are made by politicians rather than people trained in what's actually best for wildlife. It took many years to get a dove season. I remember our governor asking a school girl if we should have an open season on doves. This year a politician decided not to have a special teal season. I'm afraid we are not going to be able to use #9 tss for quite a while.

Dtrkyman

I assume many of those states either have staff that hunts and gives input or maybe a local NWTF chapter has contact with DNR/G&F or a strong hunting community.

Now that companies are producing these shells they may be involved as well. 

cknpro1

Quote from: 2eagles on March 13, 2021, 08:14:40 AM
The problem in Iowa is that many of the laws that govern hunting are made by politicians rather than people trained in what's actually best for wildlife. It took many years to get a dove season. I remember our governor asking a school girl if we should have an open season on doves. This year a politician decided not to have a special teal season. I'm afraid we are not going to be able to use #9 tss for quite a while.
"We're from the gov'mint, and here to help."
.....run!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: 2eagles on March 13, 2021, 08:14:40 AM
The problem in Iowa is that many of the laws that govern hunting are made by politicians rather than people trained in what's actually best for wildlife.

This is it in a nutshell, but it is a bit more complicated than that.  "The Problem" is also complicated by the fact that TSS is still new enough to be a relative unknown for everybody except knowledgeable turkey hunters.  Even wildlife professionals,...many of whom are not turkey hunters,...still have in their minds that very small shot is not adequate to kill a large bird. 

That mind-set, which is a result of decades of people shooting lead shot at turkeys, has not been altered because too many folks don't understand such things as mass, density, ballistics, down-range-energy, and the like,...and how TSS has changed the game. 

Throw in those "politicians" that get appointed to Game Commissions with little or no knowledge of wildlife management except what their hunter/politician buddies tell them, and you end up with antiquated laws, rules, and regulations that have absolutely no basis in fact, common sense, or reason.   

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

mtns2hunt

Seems like TSS has been a hard sell from the beginning. First hunters were agianst it as unsafe and dangerous. Manufactures delayed loading it for years so is it any wonder that the game departments in some areas are slow to take it up or accept supper small shot sizes. As some stated change comes slowly. :anim_25:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

fallhnt

Same reason some states allow .410

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

captpete

Quote from: Spurs Up on March 13, 2021, 07:35:11 AM
Put another way, does there need to be a minimum shot size?  Number 8 lead will do just fine on turkeys if you're close enough.

I also believe that is some of the problem. New hunters thinking "If it's ok to use 8 shot TSS & kill at 50 yards, I can do the same with 8 shot lead and it's much cheaper." People not being informed or not knowing any better.