OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Light "Hikers" For Spring Turkey Hunting.- Thoughts.

Started by quavers59, March 12, 2021, 02:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

As a year round Hiker, I  know these Light " Hikers" are very comfortable  for long 2 or 3 hour Hikes.
   For Spring Turkey Hunting,I  make sure, I have Black Socks on and Spray those Socks with Deep Woods Off- 40% Deet to guard against those Deer Ticks that are up here in New York.
    I can make fast moves to get to a far off Gobbler in the Hardwoods with those Light " Hikers". I have 2 pair- Gray + olive Green.
    Just picked up my 2nd pair today. Ozark Trail Hikers at walmart for 21 Bucks.
  Anyone here that prefers light " Hikers" for the Hardwoods + Woodsroad travel /trails to close up with a Gobbler?

Dtrkyman

Almost always light hikers, Asolo are my favorite, fit well and last! Wet gras situations I use a Kuiu gator, swampy stuff knee boots, dry shod now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Use permethrin on those boots and your clothing for them ticks. Works like magic. Spray it on, let it dry. Last for about 2 weeks even after washing.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

fallhnt

Don't buy junk. The soles aren't stiff enough to keep your feet comfortable all day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

3bailey3

Kinda like my snake boots down in the deep south!

aclawrence

A good hiking boot with turtle skin gaiters are my preference. I really like Zamberlan boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pluffmud

Psalm 46:10

GobbleNut

Quote from: quavers59 on March 12, 2021, 02:42:29 PM
Just picked up my 2nd pair today. Ozark Trail Hikers at walmart for 21 Bucks.

Quote from: fallhnt on March 12, 2021, 07:19:05 PM
Don't buy junk. The soles aren't stiff enough to keep your feet comfortable all day.

Frankly, I totally understand the thought process that "cheap stuff" is bound to be junk.  However, two of the best pairs of hiking boots I have ever had were purchased off the clearance rack at Walmart for $7 a pair many years ago.  If I could find them again, I would gladly buy them now for several times that much. This ain't from a guy that walks a hundred yards out in the woods and sits all day, either.  I could walk all day and cover miles in those hikers.  They were nothing short of amazing for that price.

On the other hand, I also have purchased a few of the "bargain basement" hikers that absolutely were junk.  I have had a few pairs of those, as well.  Bottom line is that buying those "el cheapo's" is definitely a crap shoot.

Having said that, the same can be said about some of the more expensive brands on the market, as well.  Granted, it's not as likely that the boots you pay $200 for are going to be as much of a risk as the $20 pair, but there is still some risk with any of them.

Generally speaking, though, depending on where and how you hunt, getting the proper type of footwear is a significant consideration.

quavers59

These Ozark Trail Hikers will last as, I  have bought them before.
    I know what to look for in good lasting footwear as ,I  used to be the walmart Shoe Dept Man years ago.

Gooserbat

I personally have a pair of Keen hikers and just bought a pair of Dryshod rubber boots.  This sort of combo has been my go to for several years.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

roberthyman14

Yeah, snakeboots at all times

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Yoder409

I'm the guy who will get up and leave a lukewarm bird at 150 yards to get on one gobbling hard on his own 3/4 of a  mile away.  So I choose my footwear carefully to keep me mobile and quick on the feet as possible.  I wear Irish Setter VaprTrek snake boots.  They seriously ARE 17" tall running shoes.  There are ZERO venomous snakes within about 8 miles of my home property.  I could hunt in my bare feet except for the thorns.  But the VaprTreks are STILL what I choose to wear when I hunt there.  They are THAT good.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bwhana

I have a pair of Bates Mid Rush boots that are like running shoes with good ankle support that are my all time favorites, and they are not expensive.  The key is that I use Superfeet insoles and was property fitted for those.  I can walk 10 miles in them with no foot aches (that's only as far as I've gone with them so far).  They are not waterproof, but I always wear merino wool socks, so damp feet are not an issue for me.

Same as far as comfort with my Lowa Renegade GTX boots with the insoles, but not as light.

I choose to play the odds with snakes and don't see a need for hot, bulky snake boots.

jordanz7935

Following..... Ive always been a rubber boot guy for the most part. Ive been looking at some keen's and merrels mid length hikers. Ive had a couple different pairs of merrel shoes and have been amazed how well they hold up. Looking @ merrels moab gore tex boot there seems to be a lot mixed reviews.

idgobble

When it's dry and hot I love my classis SWATS. 6" and 9" light brown. You'll see a lot of UPS and Fed x drivers wearing these.  https://originalfootwear.com/collections/original-s-w-a-t?page=3