turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old school turkey killers

Started by northms, March 05, 2021, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

hey Greg Massey. not telling my age but one of the fellows that camped with us drank 'Old German' beer in the little fat brown bottles and, I remember them pull off tabs very well.

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 06, 2021, 07:28:28 AM
The Rohms are STILL killing them Perry county birds.   Yep.

I have a 25 year old Rohm short box that is still tagging turkeys. And an old turkey killer and box call maker himself I know carries an even older Rohm short box just like mine.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

I will be honest, I have not been able to run since my car accident in 88 and last year was my first try at fall hunting. I had thought about getting an RC car to break them up and park the stupid thing. Don't need a turkey decoy out, actually found myself using them only 2 or 3 times last year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

silvestris

I was initially taught by the late Glen "Sonny" Whetstone of Woodville, Mississippi and shortly thereafter by the late Ken Morgan of Jackson, Louisiana.  The methods of each
was different. With Sonny, it was butt to butt and with Kenny it was analysis post-hunt of my solitary endeavors and with constant critique of my calling.  Both greatly added to my achieving my ability to become as good a turkey hunter as I could, but certainly not as good as they.  I miss them both.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

guesswho

Figured a couple pictures may help.  I'm so grateful that I learned during this era.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

None for me. I'm a self taught turkey hunter who didn't start hunting til I was in my 30's.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

tal

"Between the rivers" had turkeys since the days of Daniel Boone. The old timers there were not keen on passing on a great deal of hard won expertise. One of my favorite stories was a biologist in the 1950's did a population study and reported there were only 30 to 40 wild turkeys left. An old timer killed more than that the same year feeding his family.

dzsmith

field birds are a blessing. there is no longer such a thing where im from.....the only time I get to hunt field birds is out of state. yeah ive known a few "old school" hunters. My dad being one of them.....but times were different, and turkeys were everywhere  then. I don't know anyone personally who was turkey hunting during the restoration period when there were "few" but I know many who hunted all of the 80s. Im sure they had tricks....but they also had birds. Tricks weren't necessary...people back then hunted Saturday mornings only and limited out every year with no problem.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

albrubacker

I prefer to hunt without decoys. Old school is cool!  :you_rock:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

WildTigerTrout

When I started turkey hunting it was all old school. That's how I learned to turkey hunt. No blinds or decoys.  The only call I had was a early 70's Lynch World Champion box call that my parents gave me for Christmas.  I wonder how many out there started with the same box call. Anybody?
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

northms

Lynch box call has killed more turkeys than Thanksgiving.

turkey_picker

Pretty much self taught by trial and error, lot of errors along the way. Started in my early twenties and had a couple of old school hunters give me some advice and tips, but never hunted with anyone to learn. Still learning after 40+ years and it never gets old.

makestomstremble

When I started turkey hunting it was all old school. That's how I learned to turkey hunt. No blinds or decoys.  The only call I had was a early 70's Lynch World Champion box call that my parents gave me for Christmas.  I wonder how many out there started with the same box call. Anybody?

Bought a Lynch World Champion Box Call back in 1983 and killed my first gobbler with it that spring.

Paulmyr

Around here in Mn I guess I would be considered one of the old timers. Not saying I'm a killer just saying I'm getting old
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gobbler-one

In 1977 I was ten years old and I met an older gentleman (Mr. King) from Pennsylvania. He was visiting family in S.C. and my dad had offered to take him deer hunting. During a lunch break back at the truck Mr. King was talking about turkey hunting and I told him I had never heard or seen a wild turkey. He reached into his truck and pulled out a bag with two old Lynch box calls wrapped individually in felt cloth. he took them out and ran them for me. I was amazed by the sounds he made and in awe of all the notches he had around the bases and paddles of the calls. That was my first calling lesson. I had also shared with him that I had yet to get my first deer. He told me to be patient, sit still and hunt with my eyes and it would happen. he had to leave after lunch that day but handed me a bag of coffee candy to put in my coat and told me it would help me sit still. I killed my first deer that evening. That was the only time I ever saw Mr. King, But he sure left an impression on me. He would have been in his late 70's at that time. Two years later I was hunting turkeys with a passion that has never left me. In those early years with the exception of Mr. King and our one time meeting, No experienced turkey hunters I encountered would share advice or techniques on turkey hunting. In those days If I heard a turkey (hen or gobbler) it was a successful hunt. I was cutting my teeth on  public land and quickly learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut about what I heard or saw when I was back at camp grounds or check stations. I was reading everything I could find back then on turkey hunting. That was the start of an extensive library collection today. The common school of thought I was taught at that time was yelp three times, put the call down and wait. It didn't matter if you heard a bird or not. I did learn patience.
A lot has changed since those early years, but I feel like I was fortunate for a couple of reasons when it all began for me. First would be the fact that I started at the beginning of the turkey population boom of the mid 80's through the early 90's. Second was plenty of eager two year old toms to keep me encouraged during my learning curve.
I don't know if I'm considered old school by others, but I know I lean toward old school strategies and methods when chasing gobblers. I call soft and conservative when working birds. I don't use decoys (personal choice). I can sit for hours waiting one out and these days I love to hunt the old, quiet, sneak up on you type gobblers.
a list of changes I've seen since I began Turkey hunting, Old schoolers fell free to add your own:

1) No such thing as a turkey vest.
2) No such thing as a turkey gun or turkey shells.
3) Pop up blinds unheard of.
4) No such thing as internet, google earth or onX. Had to use topo maps, forest service maps and boots on the ground.
5) No such thing as a turkey stool/chair. Had to make your own cushion/pillow.
6) No Turkey hunting videos, but vhs was on the horizon.
7) Turkey calls were not readily available at sporting good stores. Most had to be ordered.

We've come a long way. Some for the better and some not so much. It's all a matter of opinion and what you're accustom to.

I'm new to this site, but enjoy reading what others post and all the subject matter I've found on here. Look forward to getting to know some of you through this site.