OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 80 yard mossberg 835  (Read 3471 times)

Offline 12point

80 yard mossberg 835
« on: March 05, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »
We've tried several different chokes with Apex 3.5's 8's 8.5's and 9's.
The Code Black by PatternMaster .665 will shot just a little behind a Carlson .683 choke.
If Patternmaster will open their choke tube up I believe it can give me the highest pellet count at 80 yards.
100, 127 to 150 pellet count.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: 80 yard mossberg 835
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
12 point, Welcome to OG.  Just wanted to let you know This is a privately owned and operated forum. Being a member, viewing and posting here, is a privilege not a right. OG is maintained to a standard that allows your young children to log onto here and see nothing offensive.  There are rules set up by the Administrator (OG Forum Rules Thread).  Here is Rule #3  Thou shalt watch what you say publicly - pertaining to extended shots -No public over 40 yard  talk.  What you do in your neck of the woods is your business.  If it is over 40 yards, just keep it to yourself.  Many people come in to view it and some of these are not so experienced and will try and duplicate the same scenario with less that satisfactory results (crippled game) this is very harmful for turkey hunting.  Thanks and Enjoy your time here.   

Offline 12point

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »
OK
I understand. Myself and some friends with the help of using Tss shells from Apex have changed the game for us and others for sure at longer distances.
I just read your post after I had made a comment to the Star Dot post about over 60 yard harvests i've had. If you can delete the parts about the distance please do.
A year or so ago I gave some pellet counts at longer than 40 yard distances and i dont remember y'all asking to keep it under 40 yards. Thanks I was just giving info to help improve pellet counts at a longer distance. Understand your point, It takes a lot of practice and choke tube and shot size using to find what will work for ones gun. Hope you understand I was just trying to help.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »
No problem, just wanted the new guys to understand Shannon's rules and understand the reasoning behind the rules.  Many of the regular members know ALL about TSS and some have switched or went to 20 or 410 gauges because of TSS.  Many on here also haven't for various reasons as well.  It is imperative that we respect Shannon and the quarry we are after.  So 40 yards is the limit for taking turkeys and patterning.  Have a wonderful time here and Good Luck this Spring. 

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 11:33:55 AM »
OK
I understand. Myself and some friends with the help of using Tss shells from Apex have changed the game for us and others for sure at longer distances.
I just read your post after I had made a comment to the Star Dot post about over 60 yard harvests i've had. If you can delete the parts about the distance please do.
A year or so ago I gave some pellet counts at longer than 40 yard distances and i dont remember y'all asking to keep it under 40 yards. Thanks I was just giving info to help improve pellet counts at a longer distance. Understand your point, It takes a lot of practice and choke tube and shot size using to find what will work for ones gun. Hope you understand I was just trying to help.

Well this is a turkey hunting forum and not a turkey sniping forum so we like to talk about ethical distances
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline 12point

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 01:30:54 PM »
Understand that.
Read a outdoor life article from several professional hunters about ethical shot distances.
Each one said 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle when you got less than that stop.
Its all personal preference im sure. My best turkey hunting buddy likes to see the hair on their snood before he pulls the trigger. Lets have fun and be safe.