Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B’s Story Thread

Started by zsully, March 03, 2021, 07:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmar ODonnell

Blessed to have been successful at 2:30 today. It was an incredible hunt. Had him at 10 yards strutting and drumming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsully

That's awesome!!!! Congrats Delmar! I do have to be a touch critical though. Your story telling on this one was weak. I feel like you owe us northern folk sitting on the bench right now a better write up. LOL!

Hoosier2

Fine lookin birds men! I'm down to two weeks until Kentucky kicks off.

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: zsully on April 05, 2021, 09:53:13 PM
That's awesome!!!! Congrats Delmar! I do have to be a touch critical though. Your story telling on this one was weak. I feel like you owe us northern folk sitting on the bench right now a better write up. LOL!
You're right!

The day was a frustrating one. Not because of lack of action, but because I couldn't get a game plan together and execute. I heard a minimum of 8 birds this morning, and was so overwhelmed I couldn't decide which bird to set up on or what to do. I lacked focus. By 10:00 I had wasted an awesome morning and hunkered down and took a nap.

I woke up rejuvenated and decided to grind it out. Set up in one spot, nothing, so moved up 150-200 more yards and setup in a cane thicket on a field edge. Within 20 minutes I hear a hen telling on a ridge in front of me. Not aggressive, but more of the pleading "I need company Yelp." I met her calls with my own, and after 20 minutes of constant talk back and forth, she was standing in the middle of the field at 40 yards looking for me. To my disappointment, she was by herself.

Until 10 minutes later. She had calmed down and was content in the field. I hear the unmistakable "sphht vrrroomm" and through the cane, see a black mass grow behind the hen in the field. He was already at 30 yards. He ignored the hen he had completely, and it was clear he was determined to find the one he heard in my direction. Problem was, he was at my 3:00, and I was situated with a tree touching my right kneecap. I had no move.

He continued to strut, drum, look, strut, drum look, until finally he was at 10 yards, and the path he was on would carry him about 3 steps in front of my gun barrel, which I didn't want, at all. He then cut hard into the cane/woods looking for me, moving from my 3:00 all the way to my 5:00. It was now or never. When he went behind a tree I flipped my gun to left handed. It was such an awkward postition I couldn't shoulder it, but was looking straight down the stock.

He saw this obvious movement, and started putting. But I put my red dot on the other side of the tree when he started retreating. I shot, and the recoil sent the stock of my gun directly into my face and giving me a fat lip. But I had a dead gobbler at 17 steps, making it well worth it. This was my first bird with my new 20 gauge, hopefully my next one is a little more conventional. He was a fine bird to end my MS season on. Those midday birds you grind and work hard for are extra special

Yoder409

CONGRATS, buddy !!!!!!!!!!

GORGEOUS set of hooks !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mossyguy

Great job man...awesome bird!

I'm headed out here in a little while and will stay until fly up time. Been seeing a good bit of movement mid afternoon so we'll see what happens.

Mossyguy

Shot my last Mississippi bird today...pics and story to come.

Mossyguy

I got on this bird yesterday morning but when he flew down it was straight away from me and he took his 3 friends with him, whatever they were. He gobbled over 70 times on the roost but once he hit the ground he never said another word. I decided to leave him be. I wasn't able to get back to the woods yesterday evening or this morning but I snuck in to his roost area this afternoon and was set up by 1 p.m.

I called about every 20 mins or so and nothing happened for the next hour and a half. At around 2:40 he let out a gobble that rattled my britches as he was close and to my right. I slowly turned my head to hopefully catch a glimpse of him.

After a couple minutes I caught movement but by this time he came over the ridge I was sitting on at about my 1 o'clock at 50 yards. He would gobble and strut but seemed to be content on where he was at. He strutted behind a tree and when I heard him again it sounded like he was walking away from me. I took my hand and scratched in the leaves. Another minute passed and he came out from behind the tree strutting and took a few steps towards me. At that time he noticed my lonely hen I had set out and he came in strutting the whole way. At 25 yards I ended my season. The bird was a nice 2 year old- 9 3/4" beard, weighed 18 pounds and his only spur was 3/4" but sharp as a tack.  I guess it's time to start fishing now!

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Hoosier2

Congrats mossy. Sounds like a damn good season

zsully

Congrats Mossy!!!! Real nice bird and story!

Delmar, I appreciate the follow up. That story was much better too.

Only two days of work and a 5 hour drive stand between me and my turkey season. Hopefully we can continue this trend up north.

a_jabbo

Heck yes, Del!!! Real nice bird, and thanks for the great follow up story.

And another big HECK YES to Mossy! Both some great birds. I am super jealous to say the least.

Went out this morning to listen and found the turkey coop. Just need to secure the permission to chase em.

POk3s

Congratulations guys and great write ups!!

twyatt

You guys are on fire!  Congrats and great stories.  Less than 48 hours til our season starts here in VA!

Yoder409

Still over 3 weeks to wait, here.   But, hey.......... I just inherited some scouting and prep time.   Tested positive for the Rona yesterday, so..........   I've got some free time on my hands.    :begging:
PA elitist since 1979