OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SP 10 setup  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
SP 10 setup
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:51:25 AM »
Hey guys I'm coming into an sp10 turkey in bottomland and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i need it set up cause iv never had a 10. Iv read posts here but alot of the turkey loads aint available now. Its gonna come with quite a bit of #5s so my question is,  what choke should I go with constriction wise.  If yall have any info id greatly appreciate it! Thanks and good luck this spring!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: SP 10 setup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:23:22 PM »
Hey guys I'm coming into an sp10 turkey in bottomland and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i need it set up cause iv never had a 10. Iv read posts here but alot of the turkey loads aint available now. Its gonna come with quite a bit of #5s so my question is,  what choke should I go with constriction wise.  If yall have any info id greatly appreciate it! Thanks and good luck this spring!
lead #5 i would get a .685 to.690

I recommend that you try federal HW#7 out of a sumtoy .685
Federal discontinued the HW so there is alot of it on liquidation for 12$ a box it hits and patterns way better than #5 lead btw
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 12:50:26 AM »
lead #5 i would get a .685 to.690

I recommend that you try federal HW#7 out of a sumtoy .685
Federal discontinued the HW so there is alot of it on liquidation for 12$ a box it hits and patterns way better than #5 lead btw
thanks iv been looking for the #7 but iv not found any do you know where to send me for a box? Thanks again Shannon!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline budtripp

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:09:21 AM »
rogers sporting goods had a bunch. I'd check there.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:27:12 AM »
rogers sporting goods had a bunch. I'd check there.
i checked rogers and found some 12g but no 10g turkey loads.  I'm late to the game!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »
Yea Rogers has been sold out for awhile. I procrastinated too long and missed the boat on some great prices on the Fed heavyweights. I think a lot of re-loaders bought them up to rob them of their shot is what i've been seeing on waterfowl forums. Kinda irritates me, but i should have bought when i had the chance, so thats on me. I just saw on Federal Ammo's website that they will make custom tss turkey loads to order through their custom shop. $150+ for 10 rounds! But they are 2-5/8ths ounce and you can get them in various shot sizes. Too much cheddar for me, but if i was going on a once in a lifetime turkey hunt, i would go for it!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »
$15 a piece sounds high for the TSS shells, but I load my own and have $9.50 in them with a 2 1/2 oz load doing them myself. If I was original poster of this thread, I would buy them from Apex or the custom loads mentioned earlier and not bother with getting in to the TSS loading game since you only shoot a few each year. Only way I can justify it is I am already loading TSS in other calibers and had all the equipment already other than a roll crimper. When my supplies run out I will go to storebought TSS.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »
Yea
$15 a piece sounds high for the TSS shells, but I load my own and have $9.50 in them with a 2 1/2 oz load doing them myself. If I was original poster of this thread, I would buy them from Apex or the custom loads mentioned earlier and not bother with getting in to the TSS loading game since you only shoot a few each year. Only way I can justify it is I am already loading TSS in other calibers and had all the equipment already other than a roll crimper. When my supplies run out I will go to storebought TSS.
yea I'm gonna go shoot it with the #5 and #6 and pick up a box of the apex #8  and go from there. Thanks yall!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 10:30:59 PM »
If you know you are going to buy some Apex TSS, dont even bother with the others. Will be a waste of funds

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 10:59:27 PM »
If you know you are going to buy some Apex TSS, dont even bother with the others. Will be a waste of funds
it came with several boxes of 4's and 5's and a few 6 so ill only be buying the apex's of they are still available!

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 11:23:15 PM »
What do yall know about rob roberts chokes? I found one in .680 for the 10

Offline M R Ducks

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 07:59:31 PM »
I hate to say it....  Oh it hurts because many Toms have found their way to my table with my SP10....

But I can't get the performance out of any factory 10 bore shell or reload that I can from my 1187 and longbeard #5s from a ventilator choke.  I can't justify loading TSS with what that factory offering does.   

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:45:38 AM »
I hate to say it....  Oh it hurts because many Toms have found their way to my table with my SP10....

But I can't get the performance out of any factory 10 bore shell or reload that I can from my 1187 and longbeard #5s from a ventilator choke.  I can't justify loading TSS with what that factory offering does.
Well, your Sp 10 obviously worked, so i don't see any performance disadvantage. Weight? yes, performance at normal turkey hunting distances? no. Hunting big birds with a big gun puts a smile on my face, reading ballistic tables, don't lol! Don't keep that beautiful Sp10 cooped up in the house, take her out for some exercise once in a while, and let her do what she was made to do, which is hunt!

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 06:25:34 PM »
I love my sp10 and I'm coming from 2 awesome 12's. The weight don't bother me and that .675 jebs shoots an apex 9 awesome out at 50 so whats to complain about?