OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Your very favorite turkey call of all time ...  (Read 18909 times)

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
Re: Your very favorite turkey call of all time ...
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 11:30:55 PM »
Early 1970's Liberty Mississippi LYNCH World Champion box call.  Like a fine instrument it just sounds better with age!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Online yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2021, 11:17:46 AM »
Here she is. A sister to the long box Mr Snozz hunts. Yellow poplar box with a nice thin walnut lid. Smoking call and the turkeys like it for sure. I put the call up for 2 years. This year it's going to see the woods.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »
Here she is. A sister to the long box Mr Snozz hunts. Yellow poplar box with a nice thin walnut lid. Smoking call and the turkeys like it for sure. I put the call up for 2 years. This year it's going to see the woods.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

Looks like a beauty.....
“Solo hunter”

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »

Nice. That is a killer box for sure.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »
I love seeing all the Snozz boxes, absolutely great guy

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »
Got the lynch box back 1981 for my birthday   Me and my dad called up and killed lots turkey with that box call  fall and spring back 90s sometime shoot one jumped up broke the top rail call lol  still used it after that sill sounded ok.   I used a 870 20ga with full choke hunt turkey not because it was the thing !! that’s all I had at the time lol  my just have take that call and find some number 4 high brass go kill one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dad has an old Lynch fool proof that has called and killed many gobblers. It’s been glued back together a couple times. He has Velcro sewn on his coveralls and on the bottom of the call so he could play it one handed. Still his go to call today!!!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »
Billy Buice Stabilized Buckeye Burl trumpet

Father's Day gift from my daughter in 2014. Her and my wife went to My Billy's house and she hand picked this trumpet. She liked the camo look of the wood. I've killed several birds with the trumpet, but it spends most of the time put up, not because I don't use it but because I am afraid I will break it.
I love buckeye burl and that is one special call coming from your family

Offline diyj98

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »
I've never owned a handmade or high dollar call in my life, but my favorite call is an older Lynch World Champion.  My neighbor died about two years ago.  His widow had an estate sale and I bought the old call in a box of his hunting junk.  To me is seems to have the best sound of any of by mass produced box calls.

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2021, 11:40:49 PM »
I have an awful lot of favorite calls. Many go on the top shelf in my shop for special friends or gifts but, all time favorite has to be an all Sycamore short box I made called the Full Choke. One winter I practiced every day and night with it while staying at camp trapping.  Made sure it would never leave.

Offline Sanders153

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Lord Jesus Christ - The Way, Truth, and the Life.
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »
Gary Anderson Green slate/ Shedua pot

The best slate I have ever had, held, and ran. It will make a very realistic nasally hen sound unlike what I have heard in any other

Offline wolfman

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
Andy Kaiser double sided glass zebra wood.  Got it in 2004.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
Picture says it all, sounds as good as it looks…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2022, 02:49:28 PM »
When my Uncle Don passed away several years ago,  I purchased the shop that he and my Dad had for years.   In the rafters were several planks of wood they had collected over the years.   I sent some Sycamore and Cherry to my buddy Frank Kruer III and had him make me a box call.  Frank doesn't like Cherry in a box call but he nailed this call in sound and looks.  The inscription means a lot to me.  Uncle Don taught me to hunt and was a second Dad to me.

Cherry over quarter sawn Sycamore.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Sim1982

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2022, 07:32:02 AM »
Marlin Watkins fiddle box hophorm over mineral poplar that call is the death call of many turkeys

Online hpo

• they call me Hank
    • Gobbler Down Custom Calls - Facebook page
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2023, 10:58:09 PM »
I purchased a slate from Ted "Pete" Peters back in 1997 at an outdoor show in Ohio-fantastic craftmanship with both the pot & striker. He spent time showing me how to work the call-I was a brand new turkey "hunter" (neophyte)-he is straight up a great person. I still have that call.  Have brought birds into my lap with that call & is still the most cherished call I have. My technique of holding a pot and moving both the striker and pot in opposite directions is derived from that 5 minutes he spent with me. I am thankful.
Shoot'em in the Face!