OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your very favorite turkey call of all time ...

Started by Old Gobbler, February 28, 2021, 08:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Post up a description of it , and picture if you have it ...

Tell us its strong points too

This should be interesting --Shannon

A well known fact is that back in 2008 we started oldgobbler to help showcase callmakers and thier artwork to the masses via the internet - this site is in a way dedicated our American Turkey hunting Culture.

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

rakkin6

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 28, 2021, 08:50:56 AM

Matt Fulkerson Hen Box, I just retired after 23 years has a U.S Army Special Forces (Green Beret) NCO. Matt made me this box with the Special Forces emblem on it. Great guy to talk to and great callmaker. Almost nervous to take it to the woods this year but it sounds to good not to. Let me say I may never call in a turkey with this call (that won't happen) it  is the meaning behind it for me. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

EZ

JeffC

My own black walnut with slate, made for my son, killed a few birds with it. Made with just a hand drill and router, no sound board, slate cut from a step. Proud moment when I killed 1st bird with it.  Rakkin that's a very special box, go kill a bird with it then  retire it to display case.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

This is simple for me. Old Gobbler Gaboon Ebony Push Pin. I am on the list from Shannon and looking forward to one of his Snakewood push pins. In the meantime, I lucked out on EBay and landed this one. Game changer in my Arsenal. This is always the call I start with, and mostly use on my hunts. The clucks, purrs, yelps are tough to beat. I did practice, and continue to practice with this call. This is one of his older calls, it does not have the titanium plate on the bottom of the paddle like he uses now. This call sounds great, all turkey. I like the fact I can have the gun up and ready operating this call with one hand on the ground along side of me. It has been extremely deadly for me, if I could only keep one call, this is it. Great thread, be safe...
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 28, 2021, 08:55:04 AM

Matt Fulkerson Hen Box, I just retired after 23 years has a U.S Army Special Forces (Green Beret) NCO. Matt made me this box with the Special Forces emblem on it. Great guy to talk to and great callmaker. Almost nervous to take it to the woods this year but it sounds to good not to. Let me say I may never call in a turkey with this call (that won't happen) it  is the meaning behind it for me. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Beauty, congrats and thank you for your service.....
"Solo hunter"

MK M GOBL

My Cody World Class Slate is pure Turkey, 25 years and counting!!

It's a Killer, love me a slate call.

Will

Watkins Bloodwood over Wormy Butternut is my all time for 2 reasons. The first is because I sent this piece of Butternut to him and secondly, the call flat out works. This box has solicited responses from many birds along the east coast and has been the demise of many. This is my go to. Below are a few kills with it over the years

Yelper

This one by Preacherman, Walnut over Cedar has been used to harvest 7 toms in the last 3 seasons, and called in over 15 toms not harvested because I had no more tags :). It has such a unique sound.

bobk

Without question my favorite is the Lynch Jet Slate that my dad bought me. The call was purchased in 1968 at the local barber/sports shop.Turkey always loved the sound of this caller.

packmule

This is my favorite, an all cedar longbox. It was made from a piece of wood that I thought was destined for the scrap pile due to too much sapwood.  One of those calls that turkeys love to talk back to.

Missouri hunter

For me it's a David Halloran Purple Heart and cedar box from 2014. It's probably called as many or more turkeys than all my other calls combined. Extremely versatile call.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

EZ

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 28, 2021, 09:36:42 AM
My Cody World Class Slate is pure Turkey, 25 years and counting!!

It's a Killer, love me a slate call.

I have to agree with the World Class Slate for me also. It was the first really good call I owned and mine is a little older than 25 years. I know I paid $25 for it.
No telling how many birds it's accounted for, but it's many. She's retired now in a place of honor.

paboxcall

How do you know you have a killer turkey call? Literally every time you see or talk to the guy who made it, he offers cash to buy it back. That is this call. It has aged perfectly, the range and sounds the box produces are amazing.

Ralph Snodgrass made only three of these long boxes with a maple and persimmon wood combination, the persimmon he cut himself from his property along with the help of an old turkey killer from WV. I was rummaging through Snozz's travel case and found this long box. More like this long box found me.

Been hunting this box for 20 years now. Couldn't begin to count the gobbles this box has struck, nor the turkeys called to the gun both spring and fall seasons for me and others. It it the ultimate calling machine and I know its rails and paddle as well as my own living room.

Me running it is one thing, but when Snodgrass gets his hands on it, this thing flat walks the talk. Hard part is making Ralph give it back LOL, he reaches for his money clip instead.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

The first turkey call I ever bought, Lynch 101 box call made in Liberty, Ms. I cut my teeth with this call. Although I don't carry it much anymore it is my favorite call. It can make any sound you would need to kill a turkey in the right hands.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny