only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling

Started by Aaron7155, February 22, 2021, 10:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2021, 08:03:24 AM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 28, 2021, 02:29:52 AM
Heard a podcast that stated turkey's shock gobble at noises because they are in the same frequency as a gobble.

I hadn't ever heard this, but from my own personal experiences with "studying" the phenomenon of gobbling turkeys, I would have to say with some level of confidence that frequency of the sound has little, if anything, to do with shock gobbling. 

Gobblers will shock gobble to just about any noise.  The commonality I have seen is the LOUDNESS of the sound.    Whatever the sound used is, it has to trigger that INVOLUNTARY gobbling response from a gobbler. My advice is to not worry about anything other than making a really loud, abrupt noise.  That initial, loud sound that hits the gobbler's ears is what triggers TRUE shock gobbling.   

The above is the "simplified" version.  There are definitely nuances involved with using locator calls that have to be understood, as well.  I have talked about those in prior posts,...may try to dig them up and post again.
:icon_thumright:

Right. Definately a simplistic version. I shoulda went into a little more detail. If I remember correctly there was a study done on the shock Gobble. The host and guest discussed the anatomy of a shock Google why it happens. Owl hoots in my opinion are not loud and obnoxious but they do work. The discussion goes into detail about how a lot of sounds that make a Tom shock gobble are in the same frequency as the gobble loud or not. Must be age getting to me but I can't remember which podcast I was listening to that went into this subject.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Marc

As Gobblenut points out, with the calls and tools available today, making the correct sounds on a call is not all that difficult...  However...  It is important.

There are tons of videos of live birds calling on Youtube.  Record some of your calling, and compare the sounds that you are trying to make to the sounds actually being made by turkeys...  Correct and reform as needed.

I have heard some new hunters calling way too soft, or TOO LOUD.

Most common mistake of most turkey hunters is calling too much (including myself).  Unfortunately reading birds and getting "a feel" of when to call or when not to call, comes from experience, some successes, and a lot of failures...  Mostly failures.

Above all else when it comes to the success of calling in birds...  You have to have birds to call in.  Knowing you are in an area with turkeys is probably the most important part of turkey hunting.

I will say this...  Even at my worst, when I was hunting in areas with turkeys, I could get a bird to gobble.  They'll gobble to racoons fighting...  If you are not getting any responses, I would say first things first...  Look for a new area to hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Aaron7155

Oh okay I have seen them gobble at car horns before so the owl call is less important but more importantly make a loud shock I suppose?

Paulmyr

Well ask yourself this question. If your sitting on the top of a ridge waiting for Dawn to break. Do want someone to blow their car horn or would you rather throw out a couple owl hoots to hear gobble? Both will work.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Aaron7155

Lol well that makes a lot of sense would y'all recommend a box call slate or a push pin for someone starting out learning calls?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Aaron7155 on March 17, 2021, 06:42:37 PM
Lol well that makes a lot of sense would y'all recommend a box call slate or a push pin for someone starting out learning calls?
I'd recommend a slate. You could teach a monkey to run a good slate pot in an afternoon and he'd be purring, clucking, cutting, and yelping by sun up. I think a box is harder to get the nuances right, but the greater problem with a box is all the unwanted noises they tend to make toting them around the woods if they're not cinched down tight. A good pot is a pretty foolproof option for a beginner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 17, 2021, 08:35:40 PM
Quote from: Aaron7155 on March 17, 2021, 06:42:37 PM
I'd recommend a slate. You could teach a monkey to run a good slate pot in an afternoon and he'd be purring, clucking, cutting, and yelping by sun up. I think a box is harder to get the nuances right, but the greater problem with a box is all the unwanted noises they tend to make toting them around the woods if they're not cinched down tight. A good pot is a pretty foolproof option for a beginner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 on the slate. I carry one or 2 around. Haven't used them much in recent years.

The push pins calls are pretty simple to operate. At least from what I've seen. Never used one in the field. Played around with one a couple times. I think they maybe limited in the their range. Maybe somebody with experience with push pin calls will chime in.

Marc

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 17, 2021, 08:35:40 PM

I think we all have our preferences based on how we learned, and who we learned from...

Personally, I tend to send newbies to a box call...  There is no easier call to make realistic turkey sounds with...  I can pur and cluck on one easy enough, but there is no other call that is easier to make a yelp on...  And they can be played loud...  Or soft...  When volume is important, it is tough (if not impossible) to beat a box call.

Both require movement, but I feel a box call requires less movement, and I can (and have)played them one handed a number of times.

And no doubt that when considering different strikers on different surfaces, that pot calls are more complicated as far as the nuances...  And then losing those little sticks to play them with...

I do think it is a matter of personal preference, but I tend to guide new hunters towards a good (or decent) box call.

Did I do that?

GobbleNut

Although I agree that the learning curve is probably a bit easier on a box, I think that what puts me on the pot call side of this discussion is having the capability of using a single pot with a variety of strikers to create many different turkey voices out of the same call.  Yes, it may take just a little more time to becomes proficient with a pot call but, once a guy gets there, the advantages of a pot over a box are many. 

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 20, 2021, 09:26:33 AM
Although I agree that the learning curve is probably a bit easier on a box, I think that what puts me on the pot call side of this discussion is having the capability of using a single pot with a variety of strikers to create many different turkey voices out of the same call.  Yes, it may take just a little more time to becomes proficient with a pot call but, once a guy gets there, the advantages of a pot over a box are many.
I would not argue against you, ChesterCopperPot, or Paulmyr...  Pot call is a fine choice, but simply not my preference for teaching someone. 

I prefer teaching someone on a box call, because I find it easier to teach on.  There is arguably no mechanical challenge in making a box call make a turkey sound, and I first work on cadence and volume...  A pot call is more difficult to make sound like a turkey (albeit it is still easy).  More choices with different strikers only add to the complication and confusion for someone learning.  And...  Most box calls have 2 sides, each with different sounds...

"My" feeling is, make it as absolutely simple as possible, as there is quite a bit that goes into turkey hunting, especially if turkey hunting is the introduction to any kind of hunting.

Honestly, there is no wrong answer...  Or "right" answer...  And...  All the crap and BS we tell a new hunter is basically our preferences that we (as the mentors) have developed ourselves...
Did I do that?

randy6471

While a box call might be easier to run, I usually suggest a good slate for a beginner. It might take a little more practice at first, but it's pretty versatile once you get the hang of it.

Also, I would recommend that you continue to search around and try to find a mentor. A good mentor can teach you as much around scouting, locating, calling, setting up and general turkey behavior in a few days, as it might take years to learn on your own.

I started turkey hunting a long time ago...without a mentor and I made so many mistakes that I just shake my head when I think back on it now.
  BUT, I was very fortunate, because I lived in an area where I had access to tons of turkeys and very few turkey hunters...all on private ground. Plus, I had a job where I worked 2nd shift and I could hunt literally every day. So during my early years I could make lots of dumb mistakes and still usually manage to tag out.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Marc on March 21, 2021, 01:37:05 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 20, 2021, 09:26:33 AM
I would not argue against you, ChesterCopperPot, or Paulmyr...  Pot call is a fine choice, but simply not my preference for teaching someone. 

I prefer teaching someone on a box call, because I find it easier to teach on.  There is arguably no mechanical challenge in making a box call make a turkey sound, and I first work on cadence and volume...  A pot call is more difficult to make sound like a turkey (albeit it is still easy).  More choices with different strikers only add to the complication and confusion for someone learning.  And...  Most box calls have 2 sides, each with different sounds...

"My" feeling is, make it as absolutely simple as possible, as there is quite a bit that goes into turkey hunting, especially if turkey hunting is the introduction to any kind of hunting.

Honestly, there is no wrong answer...  Or "right" answer...  And...  All the crap and BS we tell a new hunter is basically our preferences that we (as the mentors) have developed ourselves...

When I 1st started learning to call I had an old Lynch box and a couple pots. I always seemed to gravitate to the pots. Not having anyone around to show me the proper use of the box I never could seem to get the hang of it. Wasn't even sure I was holding it properly.

The pots were just easier for me to learn. Circles, strikes, and drags for yelps, cutts, and purrs were pretty simple. I consistently made better turkey sounds with pots.

That being said there wasn't this internet deal going on back then where you could ask Google how to operate a box call and get a 100 videos of guys explaining all the ins and out of proper usage.

The box came along for the ride in case I felt the need to make a gobble. As I became more proficient with mouth calls the need for pots or a box faded. I still carry a pot or 2 but they only come out on windy days.

My style of hunting now days finds me waiting to hear birds gobbling on their own before making any calls to them. I'll sit spots with good sign and blind call but mostly I'm just listening. Calling to locate birds usually only comes into play as last resort before leaving the the area.

You could most definitely be correct on the simplicity of box call operation but back in the day with my situation pots were easier for me.

mspaci

Turkeys call alot, sometimes not loud. Dont be afraid to call, I call alot, you arent gonna put off birds calling alot. When working one if he talks alot so can you. Mike

Aaron7155

Hey sorry for the pause was in the woods the past week as season started I chose a box call and love it every turkey hunter I've talked to says it sounds good I can purr cut and yelp the problem I'm running into now is how to set up on them I have a bunch of decoys I got a box made by David halloran very nice box call