turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Drumming..... I can’t hear it

Started by Bottomland, February 12, 2021, 06:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7shooter

I can hear them drum long ways off but cant hear my wife in the same room, seriously my wife has mentioned numerous times having my hearing checked.

btomlin

Quote from: 7shooter on February 13, 2021, 01:22:48 PM
I can hear them drum long ways off but cant hear my wife in the same room, seriously my wife has mentioned numerous times having my hearing checked.

My wife can hear me start drumming from a ways off..it usually gives her ample opportunity to avoid me.  Lol

guesswho

I can save you the Doctors visit.  You have two hearing deficiencies.  #1 is you have selective hearingidis.  And #2 is you have creative hearingidis.  No known cures that I know of.   Same diseases also affects the memory glands, some people are afflicted with both hearingidis's and memoryidis's. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2021, 06:17:32 PM
Certain people hear different frequencies better than others. I have tinnitus pretty bad but I can still pick up the spit better than the drum.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yep. After 34 years in the fire department, my hearing isn't very good, and my ears constantly ring with tinnitus. With that said, if I can hear drumming he's close!! But I don't ever hear the spit, just the drumming.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

7shooter

Quote from: guesswho on February 13, 2021, 02:10:03 PM
I can save you the Doctors visit.  You have two hearing deficiencies.  #1 is you have selective hearingidis.  And #2 is you have creative hearingidis.  No known cures that I know of.   Same diseases also affects the memory glands, some people are afflicted with both hearingidis's and memoryidis's.
lol

MDSTRUTNRUT

Only hear it if they are in VERY CLOSE like 30 yards. Wife gets tired of repeating herself, ringing in ears gets worse every year so hearing aids prob coming soon.    Hunt mostly with my adult kids so depend on their much better hearing on long range stuff.   Most likely too much 70's rocknroll and shooting guns without hearing protection.

Howie g

I normally can hear it before others that hunt with me . I hope my hearing doesn't start failing me like my eye sight is ... wearing glasses while in woods suuuucks !

Cut N Run

I'm sorry & saddened for those who can't hear drumming.  It is without a doubt my favorite sound on the planet (with the sound of a bra being unhooked being a close second).  I heard it the first time I ever went turkey hunting from a gobbler putting on a show.  Didn't know what it was, but I realized it was from the gobbler because it was happening the same time his low breast feathers were rippling.

I have heard drumming many times long after a gobble when drumming was the only clue he was close by. My high-pitch hearing is bad, but I pick up low frequency at great distance (mostly helicopters, diesel engines down shifting, & gobbler's drumming) for some reason.  Drumming translates to "Take the safety off" in my book, because he's close.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

ShootingABN!

I have tinnitus in both ears. However I'm still blessed that I can hear the Drumming of the wild turkey.

Last year hunting with Shane Simpson and his daughter Brooke. We had a gobbler so close. It felt like it rattled my insides! I could feel it in my chest. Kinda like those MTX Blue Thunder speakers I had in my Ford Ranger, LOL

I'm surprised that it wasn't picked up on the audio. None the less. I'm thankful to God for giving me the experience to share the woods with such great people. I'll never forget those hunts.

God bless y'all and stay safe out there.

Turkeyman

Although I've never heard of anyone checking drumming with a frequency meter it sounds around 50Hz to me...just a bit less than a power transformer. So, if you can hear the transformer you should be able to hear drumming...now it's just a matter of the volume. I've verified via rangefinder that I can hear drumming at least 75 yards. As others, when I first started turkey hunting I heard drumming but didn't know what it was...leaving some birds I'm sure. Now I concentrate to hear it.

Flgobbler

I can always hear them spit but the drumming is so hard to hear..

blake_08

I can't hear the spit unless they're really really close, the drum i can hear from quite a ways away. Probably 100 yards or so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

At one time I could hear both the spit and drum but hearing loss due to military service has changed that.  My ears ring ALL the time now.  Not sure I could hear it at this point in my life.  I am positive I will be a good candidate for hearing aids down the road. :(
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

redleg06

I can hear it well... Not able to tell where it's really coming from in most cases. It's almost like I feel it more than hear it, if that makes any sense.  Definitely hunted with others who never can hear it but it seems like most can, as long as they are listening for it.

Gawhitaker

My 23 yr old son can pick it up, i'm 59 and no longer can.