OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ben Lee Calls

Started by Mo_turkey_hunter, February 06, 2021, 04:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_turkey_hunter

Does anyone know anything about these? I stumbled upon this in my grandfathers old turkey hunting gear. It looks like a taco with a thin piece of slate in the middle. The back says:
"Ben Lee Calls Box 27 Coffeeville AL"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

That call was named "Super Hen",...as you can barely read on the call.  Ben Lee made them back in the early to mid-1970's as I recall.  I have two of them signed by him that I bought that were part of his original batch made, I believe.  However, the ones I own have an aluminum calling surface rather than slate. They came with a corn cob striker. 

I was never all that impressed with the sounds I could make with the call, so the ones I have were hardy used and are still in pretty good condition.  That one you have looks like it was put through the ringer based on the pics. 

I'm not sure if Lee made the slate version first as a prototype and then went to the aluminum version, or maybe there were versions with both surfaces,....don't remember.  From its appearance, the one you have may be one of the prototype calls Lee made,...and might be worth some money to a collector.  I don't really know. 

Sixes

My Dad has used a Super Hen since the early 80s and there is no telling how many birds he killed with it all around the south east.

He still used it now when he can hunt

tha bugman

I have the aluminum one in my collection but it does not get used.  Sounds good, but I would not want to lose it in the woods.

Tom007

Quote from: Mo_turkey_hunter on February 06, 2021, 04:51:32 PM
Does anyone know anything about these? I stumbled upon this in my grandfathers old turkey hunting gear. It looks like a taco with a thin piece of slate in the middle. The back says:
"Ben Lee Calls Box 27 Coffeeville AL"

A real treasure. They are sought after by collectors. I have seen them sell for over 200 bucks. Yours is an old one......great find....

Bamaslayer757

Beautiful call...I'm partial to ben Lee calls as my mom grew up in coffeville and was best friends with his daughter. Also, my great aunt was one of the 6 ladies in his original shop that made the diaphragm helpers of his. I was able to track down one of his original box calls and it's one of my most prized possessions. Great Find there though!

Side note, Ben Lee wasn't nearly the best turkey hunter around coffeville...he was just the only one who could talk!! Lol

Mo_turkey_hunter

Awesome. My grandpa said he had called in several turkeys with that. He and his brother had one. They use to hunt the Arkansas ozarks and had a lot of luck. He said he can remember when Arkansas turkey hunting was fantastic.