OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

21” Remington 870 20 gauge

Started by tomteaser16, February 06, 2021, 09:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomteaser16

The unfortunate time has come where I have run out of Federal Heavy Weight 7's for my 870 shooting the Heavyweight 7 Trulock Choke. I picked up some Federal 9's TSS and some Federal 7's TSS. What choke are you shooting for which? I have more of the 7's than the 9's so I'd like to see what you guys are running now. I have the new Mossberg 500 .410 bottomland that is my go to but I'd like to see what you guys think.
Thanks

Curtdawg88

I'm shooting a Carlsons .575 out of my gun like with Fed TSS #9s. Throws a great pattern. I don't have numbers but it's more than sufficient hunting pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

owlhoot

Quote from: tomteaser16 on February 06, 2021, 09:22:40 AM
The unfortunate time has come where I have run out of Federal Heavy Weight 7's for my 870 shooting the Heavyweight 7 Trulock Choke. I picked up some Federal 9's TSS and some Federal 7's TSS. What choke are you shooting for which? I have more of the 7's than the 9's so I'd like to see what you guys are running now. I have the new Mossberg 500 .410 bottomland that is my go to but I'd like to see what you guys think.
Thanks
I believe you do have a good choke for both loads right now.
Just shoot both loads in it and find out. TSS Federals 9's are boringly easy to pattern 225 + in the 10" at 40 yards.
Wouldn't think the choke you have is much if any different than a Tss 7 choke from them.
Read the the threads in this pattern section right here?

tomteaser16

:welcomeOG:
Thanks, I've been researching here. Just not a lot of people shooting the 7's.

Gmed

With the 9s, my exact gun likes a .570 Jebs...that's at 35...at 40, you are still dropping 280+.

Terry

I tried at least a half dozen chokes with Federal 7 and 9's through my 21" REM 870 barrel and the only one I was really happy with was the Indian Creek .555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahfox16

Thanks

Just curious, what kind of numbers were you getting out of the Trulock chokes and Heavyweight 7's?

Spurs Up

About 3 threads down, there's a post on T-9s (handloads, not Federals) that makes a strong unopinionated case for Remington Super Full chokes in your setup.  I'm sure IC and Jebs are fine too, just double the cost.

twyatt

I could never get Federal's to pattern near as good as Apex.   Here's the Indian Creek .570 and Carlson's .575 at 40 yards with Apex 9's.   As soon as we get decent weather, I'm going to see what the Remington Super Full .572 and TruLock .585 look like as well.

.570 IC - 10" = 284, 20" = 205.  Total in 20" = 489.  40 yards

twyatt

.575 Carlsons.  10"= 231, 20" = 216, Total in 20" 447.  40yds

savduck

Hey brother for what its worth.I still have a ton of federal heavyweight 7s. I got trulocks TSS choke for 7s and their old Heavyweight 7 choke. Both put up almost identical patterns. Id try the choke you have with tss 7s. It isnt probably gonna be 180 patterns because of less shot but I bet a 150/140 is wicked.

Trulock told me its the same choke
Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: ahfox16 on February 06, 2021, 04:56:32 PM
Thanks

Just curious, what kind of numbers were you getting out of the Trulock chokes and Heavyweight 7's?

I get the same 175 to 180 almost every shot with Heavyweight 7s. I have the new TSS choke and old heavyweight choke. Both shoot the same. They are the only choke my 870 likes. Even tried two barrels.
Georgia Boy