OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What about the colonial version of the star dot?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Squidkid

What about the colonial version of the star dot?
« on: February 04, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »
I have read numerous threads about the old star dot. Obviously everyone loves them and they can’t be found. It’s been reported that colonial  is making an exact replica of the old star dot.
Seems like the guys that can’t get the original would buy this one.
Why can’t I find any posts regarding the performance of these chokes?
I’m about to purchase one but would like to hear/see some results.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:14:31 AM by Squidkid »

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: What about the colonial arms version of the star dot?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
Seems to me I've read a bit on them. Believe what I read was that they were very similar if not identical in performance.
Threads I recall reading the people even broke down the chokes with straight knurl and diamond knurl ends.
That was sometimes debated due to the costs, aka collectability of the choke for resale .

Offline Squidkid

Re: What about the colonial arms version of the star dot?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:59:44 PM »
Thanks, that’s nice to hear.
Hopefully more guys will chime in with information that will make me feel better about my upcoming purchase.

Offline Squidkid

Re: What about the colonial version of the star dot?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 04:18:55 PM »
Alright, I couldn’t wait.....lol

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
I have an original. From my research the new version isn't much different from the original. While it is a very good choke I do believe it is somewhat overhyped. Plenty of good chokes these days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »
Here is a pattern with 2 oz, 3.5" longbeards on #5 shot at 40 yards with the original star dot

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Squidkid

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »
I’m sure there are plenty. I just haven’t heard anyone say it didn’t pattern great. Not too sure I have read many that a different choke patterned better. Sounds like a real safe choice. Looking forward to getting mine but the couple month wait to try it out will be tough. Should give me time to buy more shells for testing.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 01:18:51 AM »
Here is a pattern with 2 oz, 3.5" longbeards on #5 shot at 40 yards with the original star dot

that's dang good for #5s
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 12:37:11 PM »
I have an original stardot for my 935. Ive been unimpressed with it so far. Ive tried 3.5" longbeard #4, #5,3" longbeard #5s,  3.5" magblends, 3" Hevi 6s, 3" and 3.5" federal heavyweight 7s in my stardot. My kicks .680 patterns all of them better, most much better, except the longbeard #4s and ithe stardot only beat the kicks by 15-20 pellets in the 10". So for me the stardot was over hyped, but i never tried any hevi 7s or TSS through it, as ive never seen hevi 7s locally and dont shoot tss in a 12 ga. I used to shoot an indian creek .675 in my 835 then my 935, and overall thats been the tightest patterning choke in my guns, red dot tight if that makes since.  Id skip the stardot and be looking at indian creek .675, pure gold .670, sumtoy .675, hevishot choke .676, kicks .670-.680. I have seen a handfull of patterns from the "new" colonial stardots and none of them have been that great from what i remmeber.

Offline Squidkid

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 10:31:47 PM »
Oh oh. I already bought one. Hopefully I get better results than you did. Just for fun I also bought a Carlson’s long beard Xr choke which is .683.  Hopefully between the two new chokes I get better results than I do with my strut stopper extreme.

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 12:00:04 PM »
Oh oh. I already bought one. Hopefully I get better results than you did. Just for fun I also bought a Carlson’s long beard Xr choke which is .683.  Hopefully between the two new chokes I get better results than I do with my strut stopper extreme.
Sounds like you have 3 solid chokes to pattern. All three of them have a good reputation in the 835. And hopefully your new star dot patterns good for you, id suggest trying Hevi 7s, longbeard 6s, or TSS 9s.

Offline Squidkid

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »
Wednesday weather looks like I might get a chance to shoot a few times.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 07:45:57 AM »
I think we all have to take into account the star dot was a choke that really shined in 835's.  Fast forward and now you have a dozen or more choke manufacturers that put out some very well made chokes that pattern alot of loads really well, we've come along way since Mark Bansner was cutting down barrels, lengthening forcing cones and threading barrels with custom turkey chokes back in the 80's.   

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »
When Hevi 7's were the RAGE, 10 years ago or so, the Original Stardot was THE GO TO if you could find one in the Mossy's.  Colonial started making a .676 that was very close to that Original (not sure of the geometry or if they had the Rights to the old Stardot and copied it) but it performed very well.  Indian Creek's .675 and Pure Gold's .670 were putting up GREAT numbers as well.  I went with 3 1/2 Hevi 7's through a .670 PG and have never changed.  I would suspect that that Colonial with Hevi 7's or LB 6's would hammer birds.  Never tried the TSS in my gun because I never needed to with the patterns I get. 

Offline Squidkid

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
I think we all have to take into account the star dot was a choke that really shined in 835's.  Fast forward and now you have a dozen or more choke manufacturers that put out some very well made chokes that pattern alot of loads really well, we've come along way since Mark Bansner was cutting down barrels, lengthening forcing cones and threading barrels with custom turkey chokes back in the 80's.

Good insight.