OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 870s

Started by USMC0331, February 04, 2021, 08:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I have a lot of Remingtons that never gave a minutes trouble. Somewhere after 2010 there are tons of 870 supermags that should have never got out of the plant. I spoke to their customer service dept and they acknowledge the issues. Before I sent it I did some checking and found stories all over the net about 3 month wait times to get your gun back. I am sure they will be a changed company going forward.

ShootingABN!

Wishing them the best.

bbcoach

Glad to see them rolling again and getting out of the liberal Northeast.  We can't afford to lose any ammo or firearms manufactures.  It is my hope that they get back to the Remmy of old.

owlhoot

Quote from: bbcoach on February 04, 2021, 04:53:11 PM
Glad to see them rolling again and getting out of the liberal Northeast.  We can't afford to lose any ammo or firearms manufactures.  It is my hope that they get back to the Remmy of old.
Where they going?

Tom007

I love Remingtons. I have two 1100 410 Remingtons that are works of art. Flawless performance, and my Old Bottomland is flawless. Glad to see they are back...

ElkTurkMan

Three guns that I will never part with no matter what are older Remington's.   The first is Remington Model 700 BDL in 3006 made in 1976, the second is  a Remington 870 Special Purpose Mag in 12GA I purchased in 1996, and the third is a 20 GA wingmaster, I received for Christmas from my dad, back in 1983.  I killed my first pheasant with this gun.    I have shot everything from Elk to Coyotes with the Rifle and the 870 12GA has taken close to 30 Turkeys. It's good to hear about Big Green getting back on they're feet.   I hope Remington can once again  produce  quality durable guns like the three I have mentioned above.   

bbcoach

Back in 1828, Remington setup shop in Ilion, NY.  With the advent of the New York Safe Act in 2013 which restricted gun ownership, Remmy moved their production lines to Huntsville, Alabama.  They manufacture their ammo in Lonoke, Arkansas from Bridgeport, Conn and their Corporate Office is in Madison, NC.  They have been through bankruptcy several times and have been bought and sold by multiple companies.  It is my hope they find States that appreciate them, manufacture QUALITY guns and ammo and WE, as a Nation, find ways to turn the tide on Human Mental Stupidity. 

This is the same reason the NRA is declaring bankruptcy and moving out of New York to Texas.

dirtnap

I own a sack full of Remingtons.  4 870's.  12, 20, 28, 410.  2 1100's 12 and 20.  And one 1187.  Haven't had a single problem with any of them.  Also own several other brands.  Benelli, Winchester, Mossberg.  I turkey hunt with an 870.  If they made some junk, I never owned it.

Turkeytider

Quote from: dirtnap on February 04, 2021, 07:39:49 PM
I own a sack full of Remingtons.  4 870's.  12, 20, 28, 410.  2 1100's 12 and 20.  And one 1187.  Haven't had a single problem with any of them.  Also own several other brands.  Benelli, Winchester, Mossberg.  I turkey hunt with an 870.  If they made some junk, I never owned it.

I do think that there were those who expected Wingmaster fit and finish out of base priced Express models. There was apparently a run of Express guns that had a surface finish problem, but you don't hear many complaints about 870s failing to go " bang ".

owlhoot

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 04, 2021, 09:55:17 PM
Quote from: dirtnap on February 04, 2021, 07:39:49 PM

I do think that there were those who expected Wingmaster fit and finish out of base priced Express models. There was apparently a run of Express guns that had a surface finish problem, but you don't hear many complaints about 870s failing to go " bang ".
Agreed. All the Express models I have owned went bang. Still do on the ones I still have.
Grab a old 70's-80's  Wingmaster and shuck that pump action , slick stuff. Early 90's express isn't as nice. Never paid Wingmaster prices for an express model so never expected it.
Still enjoyed everyone I have owned. Can't say that about some other brands.

Mossyguy

I saw Wal Mart had an 870 the other day for $279..started to grab it and build another turkey gun but decided against it.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Mossyguy on February 05, 2021, 08:24:42 AM
I saw Wal Mart had an 870 the other day for $279..started to grab it and build another turkey gun but decided against it.

That's a good buy.

Loyalist84

I have nothing but good things to say about the Remington of old, and my father's 870s are wonderful guns that handle like a dream.

I got an 870 Express for Christmas one year, and found the thing would fail to cycle. Oil, clean, rack the pump harder, nothing solved the issue of feed failures or partial extraction. I traded it on a BPS and haven't looked back since, but it Remington came out with an 870 Wingmaster that was equal to the quality of the old days (doubtful), I'd get one in a heartbeat and make it my dedicated turkey gun.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Loyalist84 on February 05, 2021, 12:25:02 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about the Remington of old, and my father's 870s are wonderful guns that handle like a dream.

I got an 870 Express for Christmas one year, and found the thing would fail to cycle. Oil, clean, rack the pump harder, nothing solved the issue of feed failures or partial extraction. I traded it on a BPS and haven't looked back since, but it Remington came out with an 870 Wingmaster that was equal to the quality of the old days (doubtful), I'd get one in a heartbeat and make it my dedicated turkey gun.

Just curious, what did Remington Customer Service have to say? That`s sounds like a candidate for warranty work if not an out and out gun replacement.

Loyalist84

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 05, 2021, 12:51:43 PM
Just curious, what did Remington Customer Service have to say? That`s sounds like a candidate for warranty work if not an out and out gun replacement.

I'll be completely honest - I didn't send it back! Several of the folks I hunted with had bought Expresses with similar issues, so I didn't bother fussing with sending a gun back for warranty across international borders and just cut my losses.