OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No Blind Bowhunting

Started by Spyderman, February 03, 2021, 02:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

I'm thinking about trying to bowhunt this spring, but I HATE hunting out of a blind. Do any of you bowhunt without the use of a blind? Any suggestions on how to have a successful hunt without a blind?

bossgobbler

I hunt with a bow and no blind. It's my favorite style of turkey hunting. It's amazing how much more you learn and experience when you have to let the turkeys get so close. It's much more difficult to close the deal and walk away with a turkey over your shoulder but to me that's not what it's all about. Don't get me wrong, I like to be successful but a dead turkey isn't how I measure a successful hunt or season. I have found that I'd much rather work a turkey and call them into 5-10 yards all season long and walk away empty handed. You'll appreciate every second of an up close and personal situation with a wild turkey spitting and drumming in your lap! Every now and then you'll make it all come together and the wait will be worth it!

A couple things I'd suggest. If they're strutting let them turn so their tail fan is facing you and then draw.
I use DSD decoys and have noticed it helps those turkeys stay comfortable and focused.
Let the turkey walk past you. Set up decoys so that the turkey approaches from a side and not straight on if you're able to. Practice shooting from your knees and sitting. Have fun!

Mossyguy

Definitely have a decoy out..you're going to need something to get his attention while you are trying to draw. That's the hardest part.

Spyderman

What do you use for packs? I assume that a "standard" turkey vest won't work for that? I have a smaller Tenzing pack (Tenzing 1200, I think) that I use for deer hunting that I was thinking about using.

bossgobbler

Quote from: Spyderman on February 03, 2021, 02:43:05 PM
What do you use for packs? I assume that a "standard" turkey vest won't work for that? I have a smaller Tenzing pack (Tenzing 1200, I think) that I use for deer hunting that I was thinking about using.

I use my Cabelas Tactical Tatr vest. Works just fine for me. When it gets in the way I just take it off. I usually sit with it around me but the shoulder straps taken off of my shoulder so I can move freely when I need to draw or adjust angles.

turkeyhunter91

i used to bow hunt them quite a bit, without a blind was my favorite way. be prepared to have your heart broke a few times ha ha. i have had several birds come in that would have been dead birds with the shotgun but since i had my bow they lived to see another day. pay attention to how your decoys are placed, i always tried to set the jake pointing towards me. another thing i strongly suggest is to pay more attention to how you set up and how well you are concealed. i have had some birds come in to 15 yards but just stand there looking around and before they would turn around to let me draw they would see something and get spooky. another thing i would recommend is get something to hold your bow up so you have it somewhat ready if a bird slips in, i made 1 for my bow out of brake line tubing and a old trophy ridge sling holder, it has a leg on each side of your bow and holds it up and ready. i always just used my vest to carry everything because the only difference i had was a bow instead of a shotgun. i do have a bow sling that i take on and off and it is really nice for running and gunning. i bought 1 of the double bull surround view stake out blinds but haven't used it much, it is a small 3 sided stakeout style that i thought would be nice for bow hunting, i used it a few times with my stepson and it is nice for hiding extra movement. good luck and have fun

fallhnt

You need to commit to bow hunting without a blind. Thinking about it and doing it are different. The more birds you call the harder it will be. You have to have the correct equipment. What broadheads for the poundage you shoot. Poundage won't matter if using decap type heads. If body shots, then you need to know where to aim.  How far can you shoot accurately with your   chosen broadhead? Set up so you are comfortable and use a decoy to position the bird. Decoys come in handy when birds come in silent. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Chris O

You can also try to set up with a couple big trees close to your decoy so if they aren't strutting you may be able to draw while he is behind the big tree from you. A ghili suit may be a good investment also. I know what you mean about hunting out of a blind I don't enjoy it that much either

Cut N Run

Fourteen years ago I tried hunting turkeys with a hand made bow & cane arrows with stone points I also made myself. At the time, I had the luxury of a great lease loaded with birds and not much surrounding hunting pressure. I mainly used natural deadfalls and stump holes for cover.  I called several gobblers in and even got a couple shots off, but it was probably the most intense, yet aggravating form hunting that exists.  Everything must be right, where you had to let the birds work in tight. There are lots of wrong moves you can make bow hunting to blow the hunt.  Drawing the arrow and moving bow limbs got me busted more than anything.  There's just a huge margin of error and way more can go wrong than go right.  As much as I wish I could share pictures of successful hunts, I never sealed the deal.  Never even cut the first feather.  I was injured the next Spring and have not been able to draw a bow since, so that dream ended.  I have to say that hunting that way sure made going back to a shotgun almost seem easy.

Go for it though.  Bow & arrow with no blind is the greatest challenge in hunting turkeys.  I'd love to hear your story after you skewer one.  Good luck & have fun. Hunting turkeys with a bow & no blind is as intense as it gets.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

CAPTJJ

I've got a grand slam with a recurve and no blind, so it can be done. My bows are 58-60" and need a small stool to shoot off, knees can only take so much. One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is 3D camo of some sort, I like the ASAT suit but also have a Mossy Oak leafy suit (greener) for hunting in FL. This year will be trying a Kill Suit, a ghillie with long fabric strips and hides you much better. Carry everything in a small backpack, has a strap and mesh pocket to hold seat, other mesh pocket for gloves, facemask, armguard. For calls a mouth call is pretty much essential, IMO. And DSDs for decoys.

Spyderman

One thing I don't have are DSD decoys. I've been looking at them, or possibly Avian X. Maybe I'll start getting one or two DSDs per year until I have a decent flock. I am using "mid-range" decoys, I think the Primos Gobstopper set (Jake + 2 hens).

simpzenith

I've bowhunted several times with a bow and without a blind. I usually sit on my butt, just like if I were using a gun but with body turned much farther to the right of where I expect to have shot opportunities. This is so I can draw/shoot to the left more comfortably. My compound bow is short and is now problem to shoot this way but my long recurve presents a little more challenge. I can shoot it from a seated position but I have to cant it much more. Just practice shooting from whatever position you decide to use when hunting. Hunting without a blind does present challenges but it also makes it easier in some regards (mobility, hearing, shot opportunities, etc.).

CAPTJJ

No need for a "flock" of decoys, a jake and hen is plenty... or just the jake. For me, losing the blind was to be more mobile rather than lug all that weight, a decoy or two doesn't weigh much and is manageable.

THattaway

Have done just a little of this but with success. Biggest rush in turkey hunting IMO. I use a small seat cushion to kneel on. Post up buy a tree or bush and place a hen decoy about 15 yards out front and off to one side, opposite of where tom is coming from or expected to and facing away from approaching tom. Thought being that he will be focused on the decoy and walking past. Tree/bush offers chance to draw unseen.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Spyderman

Quote from: fallhnt on February 03, 2021, 08:02:03 PM
You need to commit to bow hunting without a blind. Thinking about it and doing it are different. The more birds you call the harder it will be. You have to have the correct equipment. What broadheads for the poundage you shoot. Poundage won't matter if using decap type heads. If body shots, then you need to know where to aim.  How far can you shoot accurately with your   chosen broadhead? Set up so you are comfortable and use a decoy to position the bird. Decoys come in handy when birds come in silent. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I picked up some NAP Gobbler Getter broadheads, and was planning on using them. So body shots are what I'm after.