Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Sx4 "NWTF" 20 gauge turkey.....

Started by RED NECK, February 01, 2021, 09:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunghit

I also have an Indian Creek .570 and Sumtoy .570 to pattern with. Will probably also pick up a Carlsons and Indian Creek in .575 too
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Fullfan

My X3 longbeard  does very well with a Truelock .585 and handloaded tss.
Don't gobble at me...

RED NECK

Ya, looks like rain all weekend.I will probably wait until the long weekend f that is the case,I am not going to shoot tss from ths gun,I already have 2 others I am. I will post up when I get it out, I still have a month to go and half my guns to test out yet. I am waiting on a few from the dippers,he says they should be shipping this week,only 3 weeks behind what he told me, typical of these guys from my experiences with bows or guns,oh well.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

The weather now looks decent for Saturday,so I will be taking a few guns to pattern in the am,including the sx4.

RED NECK

I tried 4 different chokes and about 6 different shells through this gun earlier and was really shocked at how pathetic any of them patterned. I am going back up in a few minutes with just this gun and going to run an ic .555  after I double check I am still sighted in, It was cold, +2, but I had all my other (7) guns sighted in and patterned easy today, It has warmed a bit,there is hardly any wind. I ran a .560 kicks, .565 carlson, .570 tightwad and the stock .570 briley .

I tested every shell but the kitchen sink but I am going to do it again and maybe bring out the big shell if needed. I didnt take pictures today,I have to admit I was frustrated and just put this gun away, I even ran a snake through it as I went. I am determined to get it ready tonight for season.

RED NECK

I spent another hour this evening and have got it 90% ready, It took me a lot more fussing around than I thought it would. I've never had a shotgun that seems this finicky with most loads and chokes.The .555 Ic and Tss #7 is what I will be shooting and I ended up mounting one of my Bushnell 1.75 circle plex camo scopes on it and I ran out of Tss #7's. I had to adjust scope down a few more clicks after last shot. I need 1 more shot to confirm,just for my piece of mind even though I know it is now dialed in and patterned.

I was not planning on this gun being picky. I'll post picture of final session,in the next few weeks as I still have a few guns to pattern.

RED NECK

I still had a box of federal #7 tss here at the house but went and purchased the last 2 that the lgs has and will have before season. I will be purchasing a 2nd IC .555 choke as this one is for my Browning and I don't want to be switching them back and forth.

I am not sure what to think of the gun,I like the way it fits me and the gun seems to function flawlessly but I am disappointed in how it patterns so far with everything but an .555. Oh well.I found what It likes and what It doesn't.

lunghit

I'll be trying my SX4 with a .570 Indian Creek and .570 Sumtoy in a few weeks. This will be with Apex 3" number 8's. I'll let you know how this combo works.

lunghit

This is going to be mainly a backup gun to my SX3 but I will pattern it in a few weeks.

RED NECK

I would shoot tss #9's out of all my 20's if they were legal,7's are the smallest we are allowed to use by law right now and this is the 5th season they are legal. I do wish in the near future our mnr makes the switch to allow smaller shot and .410's but they are always a decade behind in Ontario.

So until that day I'll just setup different guns with different shells for something to tinker with and a hobby to enjoy when I can't hunt anything. I decided to start logging all my notes in an actual notepad so I will have everything in writing for all my turkey guns,what choke,shell,sight and how far i patterned them,40 yards....on here but in the "real" world.My notebook may have more info..............good luck with the new toy.

Terry

From my experience and from what I have read, the Winchesters prefer a more open choke. Try a .585

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I have read that,I however had a 20 ga sxp longbeard that shot every choke and shell as I have tried from this gun, very well. I  may have to give a .585  a chance,after this year as I'd like to shoot something other than tss if I could from this gun.....Thanks.

RED NECK

I went ahead and purchased a .585 trulock ported choke for this gun. I have 3 weeks until the day until our season opens so I am going to wait until I have this choke to shoot this again,I am hoping I have them(ordered for two guns) by the Saturday before the hunt so I can pattern.  I just figured,I have tested all other constrictions and not been pleased, I may as well test the .585. I have been reading and watching choke videos,and for some reason I am really interested in George Trulock's chokes after watching how they are manufactured.

They still cost me $100.00 after exchange rate and shipping fees,so basically same as a local Carlson's which are all out of stock.Easy choice.

lunghit

Let us know how it goes. Everyone seems to love Indian Creek .570 and .575 in these guns. I have the .570 just waiting on them to stock .575. I will be testing out my gun soon with two different .570's and Apex 3" 8's.

RED NECK

I am going to take this gun tomorrow morning and spend some more time seeing If I can get it patterned and shooting something,I have time and am waiting on a .585 choke anyway so I figured I may as well take more time as I have every other gun patterned and ready to roll for the 25th now.