Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dot and other “scopes” on turkey guns.

Started by WTNUT, January 31, 2021, 09:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loyalist84

I've hunted with a bead most of my life, but this year I'm switching to a 1-4 scope - not for turkey reasons though! I swapped an 870 combo for a BPS a while back, and now my turkey gun pulls double duty as my slug gun for deer. Swap out the rifled choke for a turkey, re-crank the turrets, and it saves me from spending the money on two seperate guns.

Sixes

I use one because I don't see as crisp as I use to, especially in dark settings, and the dot is more accurate than using a bead. Wingshooting has nothing to do with shooting at a stationary object.

I use a scope on my rifles and a peepsight and pins on my bows for the same reason as the red dot on my shotgun. Accuracy.

A lot of folks use rifle sights on their turkey guns and it is the same principle, but I prefer a red dot.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: mcw3734 on January 31, 2021, 11:28:56 PMIt doesn't bring them in any closer, it doesn't change my range, it's not a technological gadget to fool them... it just increases your likelihood of an on-target shot resulting in a quick, humane kill. Which, I believe, is something we all should be striving for.
This is why I use them.  I killed my first turkey and a few after that with bead sights, but after my son wounded one and I discovered the POI was a bit different than the POA on the gun he was using I decided to start using them.  He's killed several turkeys with the red dot and we sight both of our guns in before the season starts each year.  I also believe it's a confidence-builder for him (and me).
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

rakkin6

I like red dots for poa/poi when making adjustments much easier then with a bead sight. Also they are pinpoint accurate, pretty much unlimited eye relief, and allows you to shoot with both eyes open expanding your field of view. If you get a low profile one like the Vortex Venom or Burris Fastfire adds about 7 ounces. Has far has a new gun it seems like there is a big push of guys running 20 gauge with TSS now. The advantage they give is weight of the gun and recoil. And with TSS they say it turns a 20 into a 12. I don't own a 20 just two 12's for turkey.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

WTNUT

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 01, 2021, 07:20:44 AM
I put together a M2 20gauge for my son. It is tricked out. Changed the light "click" recoil spring, added a steady grip stock, drilled and tapped and mounted a FF3. I liked the the FF3, that steady grip also.

So, I bought myself a Tristar 410, just because. First thing I did was to put a FF3 on top of it. I took it for a walk in Turkey season and had success with it. I pack it around jump shooting rabbits also. I like the FF3.

This weekend I took my turkey gun to get Drilled and tapped. I have a FF3 setting here waiting for the big girl to get home so I can mount it up.

I would not mind seeing this set up.   I am considering an M1 or M2 (used or new) with a 21 inch barrel as my new go to gun.    They only come in black,  but I could get it dipped if I want. 

The little red dot makes picking up the target so much faster/easier. I shoot left handed, but have killed many turkeys right handed. I have not done so with a red dot, but I definitely can see where that would be a benefit to an off handed shooter.

My eyes started to give me trouble about 10 years ago. I noticed them at work, working off of some of the drawings that we use. You guys have all seen the dudes that hold the paper out away from them to try and read it!  Over the years I had to start wearing the cheater glasses. These little red dots help the focusing problem with that bead or site setting back there on the barrel.

Someone else made a previous comment about the scope not bringing a turkey in closer. I second that.

RutnNStrutn

All my hunting guns have scopes, so I'm used to using a scope. The only guns I have without scopes are my duck hunting shotguns and my self defense pistols.
Plus I have several friends that shoot iron sights or fiber optics, and they fail to put their head all the way down on the stock every time, causing them to miss at least once each season. By using a scope, I always line up my aim point correctly.
Also, as others have noted, my eyes ain't what they used to be. I use a green dot because I have a red/green color deficiency, so seeing red is difficult for me.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

avidnwoutdoorsman

Quote from: WTNUT on January 31, 2021, 09:02:27 PM
Call me old school.   I can't figure out why on earth anyone would put a scope on a turkey gun.   For those of you that use them,  please let me know what you like about them.   

I shoot a shotgun more than the average person.  I am not a trap shooter,  skeet or otherwise.   But,  I do a lot of upland bird hunting.   I go at least one day a week and most weeks at least two days a week.  Unfortunately,  there are not many wild birds nearby so the majority of my bird hunting is at preserves so there is a lot of shooting.   If a turkey is standing,  running or flying I just can't imagine shooting at him with a scope.

I put a red dot on my shotgun so my wife could see.... that's it.

First time out turkey hunting with her.... 7 birds lined up from 15-35 yards... she couldn't pick the bead up at the tip of my shot gun (hyro-dipped 870).... all 7 birds walked away.... I bought a red dot when I got home and haven't had an issue yet. Think it was like $20 bucks so nothing fancy... same price and easier than changing to a truglo bead/site.

Scope, I have no idea, but the red/green dot I have now lets the wife pick it up and put the dot on the bubbles.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

rakkin6

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 01, 2021, 05:09:35 PM
All my hunting guns have scopes, so I'm used to using a scope. The only guns I have without scopes are my duck hunting shotguns and my self defense pistols.
Plus I have several friends that shoot iron sights or fiber optics, and they fail to put their head all the way down on the stock every time, causing them to miss at least once each season. By using a scope, I always line up my aim point correctly.
Also, as others have noted, my eyes ain't what they used to be. I use a green dot because I have a red/green color deficiency, so seeing red is difficult for me.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.
Tell your friends to put a kisser button on there stocks. Just get an air soft pellet and some mole skin. Put the pellet exactly where they are most comfortable shooting put a piece of moleskin over it. Everytime they shoot the corner of there mouth goes on the bead they will have the same sight picture everytime.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

WV Flopper

The tricked out M2, 20 g of the boys. The red dots are nice for failing eyes.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 01, 2021, 07:25:02 PM
The tricked out M2, 20 g of the boys. The red dots are nice for failing eyes.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Real nice set up.

WTNUT

For those of you that use the dot or other devise,  which do you prefer.  The Burris Fastfire and Vortex Viper get a lot of on line shouts from what I can see.   

Dtrkyman

If it shoots behind a double bead im good, unfortunately my 20 was a little off so I have a tru glo rifle sight on it. My 12ga sbe2 is dead on with beads, though I do not use it anymore.

Tom007

Quote from: WTNUT on February 01, 2021, 09:00:03 PM
For those of you that use the dot or other devise,  which do you prefer.  The Burris Fastfire and Vortex Viper get a lot of on line shouts from what I can see.

I have 2 Red dots that are Burris Fast Fire 3, and I have a Nikon Spur. Love all of them. Can't go wrong with any one of them....

rakkin6

I have two Burris FF3 and one Viper and you can't go wrong with either one. I can't really say which one is better ,  would buy both again hands down. If I am not mistaken Burris is coming out with the FF4 soon.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

Now , I'm the scope guy, so my guns have the Nikon turkey pro , Simmons pro diamond and the Bushnell circle x ... these are some good ones , along with others , turkey scopes with the diamond or circle x are getting harder to find..