OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need help deciding

Started by Matt76cmich, January 30, 2021, 04:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt76cmich

Hey guys,

I'm going to be going on my first out of state turkey hunt and have it narrowed down to 2 states, Kansas and Nebraska since the drive is pretty comparable. I hunt easterns here in Michigan and figured if I'm going out of state I might as well try to hunt a turkey species we don't have around here. 

I have the areas narrowed down where I'll starting off in both states so not looking for anyone's hot spots, just if you were going to go to Kansas or Nebraska for your first out of state hunt which would you choose?

I've read about all the extra pressure and whatnot, so going in with slightly low expectations other than having a great experience.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mhamby

I've heard great things about either state, seems like you have a tough choice to make.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

rakkin6

Not sure why but I have always wanted to go to Nebraska to hunt Merriam's. Nothing specific I know about it just always wanted to go there.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Gooserbat

I've hunted both.  Both are good.  Had more luck knocking on doors in kansas.  Nebraska has more diversity.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jstocks

Populations were way down the last 2 trips I made to Kansas.

bbcoach

Go to Nebraska and try to find an area that has Merriams and Rios and kill two birds with one stone.  I've got my Slam and Kansas was Rio's and South Dakota was my Merriam's.  I found out later that Nebraska has both.  Good Luck!  By the way, Out of State hunts are Fantastic because of the ENTIRE experience.  Take time to enjoy everything!

SD_smith

That's a hard choice! What does your gut say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt76cmich

Quote from: SD_smith on January 30, 2021, 06:35:30 PM
That's a hard choice! What does your gut say?

My gut says Nebraska because it seems like more of an adventure.  If I get lucky I might be able to do both!....... but we'll see how it goes lol.

Matt76cmich

Quote from: bbcoach on January 30, 2021, 05:53:39 PM
Go to Nebraska and try to find an area that has Merriams and Rios and kill two birds with one stone.  I've got my Slam and Kansas was Rio's and South Dakota was my Merriam's.  I found out later that Nebraska has both.  Good Luck!  By the way, Out of State hunts are Fantastic because of the ENTIRE experience.  Take time to enjoy everything!

That sounds life a great plan!

Nathan_Wiles

Nebraska is on my list.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Matt76cmich

Nebraska it is!

wvhoyt19

Quote from: Matt76cmich on January 30, 2021, 07:54:03 PM
Nebraska it is!

Awesome!!! We will be there early May. Good luck

Matt76cmich

Quote from: wvhoyt19 on January 30, 2021, 08:14:30 PM
Nebraska it is!

I plan on getting out there for the shotgun opener, only days that work with my days off and Michigan tag. Putting my extra days of vacation for my 10 years here to good use lol.

wvhoyt19

Quote from: Matt76cmich on January 30, 2021, 08:21:13 PM
Nebraska it is!

I plan on getting out there for the shotgun opener, only days that work with my days off and Michigan tag. Putting my extra days of vacation for my 10 years here to good use lol.

Yes that's a good use! I'm having fun planning this trip. It's been on my list for a few years and we are finally doing it. We are headed to Chadron area. Good luck and let me know how it goes. I'll do the same

Matt76cmich

Quote from: wvhoyt19 on January 30, 2021, 08:53:31 PM
Quote from: Matt76cmich on January 30, 2021, 08:21:13 PM
Nebraska it is!

Yes that's a good use! I'm having fun planning this trip. It's been on my list for a few years and we are finally doing it. We are headed to Chadron area. Good luck and let me know how it goes. I'll do the same

Sent you a message.