OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tennessee public

Started by Big Pine, January 28, 2021, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on January 29, 2021, 10:05:21 AM
The you tube guys didn't come up with that we were doing it in the 80's and we learned it from the old guys who started it as soon as the lakes were flooded by the Corp. Of Eng.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The YouTube guys did shine light on it though and the quality of hunting will now suffer for those using that method in the future. I've personally watched the exact same thing happen with areas time and time again across the United States. If you don't think hunters are running out and copying what they see or hear done, you ain't been traveling turkey hunting long enough. Heck, I've done it myself. I saw one of the posters in this thread start talking about all the turkey a middle TN WMA had back in the early 2010s. He was a noob turkey hunter and got his limit his first spring. It was easy to find out he was talking about Yanahali WMA cause he said it himself. I immediately started heading up there to pound birds, it was great! But each year more and more started hitting the WMA because they 'saw about it online' or 'heard from a friend'. I even found the poster's hunting blind and sent him a picture of it through a PM. I knew it was his because he'd posted some pics from it that morning on another hunting forum. Yanahali is still absolutely loaded but the quality is nothing like it used to be and it is outright unsafe on opening weekend.

But yeah, a fellow still has a spring or two left of decent hunting around the lakes before folks who saw the YouTube killings start dragging boats up there for the first time.

Nathan_Wiles

I'm sure you're correct about recent events and Covid free time, etc. My point was there weren't any birds now there are birds and the tactics we used and learned are now being applied to turkeys. Deer hunting was a big deal growing and we always encountered large numbers of people during the 7 day rifle season. Back then it ran the week of Thanksgiving..it was nuts. Opening Day Boat races, fist fights, cuss fights, chest bumping, finger pointing, ramp blocking. Not our best moments for sure.
I do not agree with naming spots etc. on the WWW in any case. Here in South Carolina that goes badly everytime someone pulls that junk. I like watching the you tube guys and when I see em places I recognize I'm reminded that I know it because I've stood in the spot, its kinda cool and increasing hunters and sharing the passion like folks did with me is a good thing that comes at a price.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 29, 2021, 11:01:47 AM
The you tube guys didn't come up with that we were doing it in the 80's and we learned it from the old guys who started it as soon as the lakes were flooded by the Corp. Of Eng.

The YouTube guys did shine light on it though and the quality of hunting will now suffer for those using that method in the future. I've personally watched the exact same thing happen with areas time and time again across the United States. If you don't think hunters are running out and copying what they see or hear done, you ain't been traveling turkey hunting long enough. Heck, I've done it myself. I saw one of the posters in this thread start talking about all the turkey a middle TN WMA had back in the early 2010s. He was a noob turkey hunter and got his limit his first spring. It was easy to find out he was talking about Yanahali WMA cause he said it himself. I immediately started heading up there to pound birds, it was great! But each year more and more started hitting the WMA because they 'saw about it online' or 'heard from a friend'. I even found the poster's hunting blind and sent him a picture of it through a PM. I knew it was his because he'd posted some pics from it that morning on another hunting forum. Yanahali is still absolutely loaded but the quality is nothing like it used to be and it is outright unsafe on opening weekend.

But yeah, a fellow still has a spring or two left of decent hunting around the lakes before folks who saw the YouTube killings start dragging boats up there for the first time.
Did you just complain about spot highlighting and then spot highlight in the same post?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

deerhunt1988

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 29, 2021, 11:13:32 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 29, 2021, 11:01:47 AM

Did you just complain about spot highlighting and then spot highlight in the same post?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I'm not highlighting any spot that hasn't already been ruined by highlighting.  :icon_thumright: