OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ducky Places Turkeys Like  (Read 2991 times)

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Ducky Places Turkeys Like
« on: January 26, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
Any duck habitat you tend to encounter turkeys in, or at least near?
I suspect, but haven’t confirmed, that turkeys might like shallow flooded timber. I’ve even seen them take drinks in coves off big lakes, created by ridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Re: Ducky Places Turkeys Like
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »
Yes.  Many of the swamps I hunt ducks in have turkeys roosting in them.  Had some gobble after we shot this year.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 06:08:56 PM »
Yes.  Many of the swamps I hunt ducks in have turkeys roosting in them.  Had some gobble after we shot this year.
Any sense as to their movement patterns? Do they just wade through 6” water like it’s a normal wooded area, or do they look for some feature that helps you pattern them?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:35:45 AM »
I’m no duck hunter and live in the mountains where flooded timber isn’t really a thing, so take this with a grain of salt. But in the places I hunt in South Carolina where I’ve seen wood ducks and small tracts of flooded timber I’ve observed turkeys roost over the water. When they flew the next morning, though, they always pitched to dry land. I’ve never seen one walk through so much as a trickle of water. Seen them hop creeks, cross logs, pace back and forth like they were at a fence row, fly across, but never wade water. Roosting over water makes great sense, may even be preferable, but I’ve just never seen them wade anything.

Offline SwampRooster17

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »
We’ve got a duck hole in the mountains we hunt that we always hear roosted birds or bump birds on the walk out.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »
Any sense as to their movement patterns? Do they just wade through 6” water like it’s a normal wooded area, or do they look for some feature that helps you pattern them?

They fly down to areas that don't have standing water.  I've watched them leapfrog from tree to tree until they get to dry ground.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 06:42:55 PM »
Most of my turkey hunting is along often flooded river bottom with scattered oxbows. My hunting is best when I need to wear hipboots to hunt. It’s just the way of life for those birds. Go gett’m!

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
I have seen turkey tracks in mudholes in the swamps in Florida and then seen them hang up on standing water that is 1" deep. 

We called to a flock of birds last weekend and had woodies splashing all around us in the water holes.  The turkeys would not cross those little oxbows though.  They wanted to walk out.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:51:08 PM »
I have seen turkey tracks in mudholes in the swamps in Florida and then seen them hang up on standing water that is 1" deep. 

We called to a flock of birds last weekend and had woodies splashing all around us in the water holes.  The turkeys would not cross those little oxbows though.  They wanted to walk out.
Yeah, I have seen turkeys having the time of their lives on mud flats when the water drops after the drawdown or when impoundments have been drained.

After everyone’s comments it’s clear they cannot stand to see water in front of them. Guess it’s a mental thing, and not an unreasonable one—they cannot judge water depth and probably wouldn’t fare well if ever they stepped into a deep spot.