turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

backboring

Started by John D., May 20, 2011, 04:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John D.

does this really help with getting a good pattern?

stinkpickle

John D.

well what does it do exactly?

Skeeterbait

Helps with achieving good patterns with very heavy loads.  Not so much with light loads so not worth much to an upland bird shooter.  Still requires a good match of shell and choke, but generally makes finding a good combination easier.  It reduces friction on the wad traveling down the barrel, reduces or eliminates forcing cone disturbance because most or all of the forcing cone is removed, shortens the shot string, reduces the number of deformed pellets due to relieved constriction, reduces recoil a bit.

Proof is in the comparison.  Some of the hardest guns to find a good performing shell/choke combination are the tight European bores like Benelli.  Some of the easiest are the backbored guns like the Mossberg 835/935.  Both can be made to shoot well, but the Benelli tend to be more finicky about what shell and choke they like.

stinkpickle

It basically just increases the bore diameter.  In theory, the same size payload delivered down a larger bore should result in fewer deformities and flyer pellets.

John D.

ok,where do you get it done?

SumToy

What gun are you looking to have this did to.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SR1

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 20, 2011, 05:59:47 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 20, 2011, 04:44:59 PM
It basically just increases the bore diameter.  In theory, the same size payload delivered down a larger bore should result in fewer deformities and flyer pellets.

Very true, and it does work with light, as well as heavier payloads. This is why so many of the competition (Skeet, Clays, etc.) shooters shoot overbored guns.
This is very tue my trap gun is backbored and it helps give a more even pattern with 1 oz and 1 1/8oz loads. If my trap gun wasnt so pretty and heavy I would hunt turkey with it cause it sends some awesome patterns down range.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Turkey Trot

This is a description of backboring by Angleport.  It also has info on cone lengthening and other work:

http://www.angleport.com/backboring.asp?C=

You might speak with gobblerguns.com and Ed of Ed's Guns in MS.  664-534-0551.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

neal

I was thinking on having my SBEII done, I talked to gobblerguns and their turn around is lighting fast for doing this and sounds well worth it and now that season is over I think my barrel will be making a trip to AR.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 20, 2011, 05:59:47 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 20, 2011, 04:44:59 PM
It basically just increases the bore diameter.  In theory, the same size payload delivered down a larger bore should result in fewer deformities and flyer pellets.

Very true, and it does work with light, as well as heavier payloads. This is why so many of the competition (Skeet, Clays, etc.) shooters shoot overbored guns.

And I agree with that.  But I have talked to the folks at Remington and about them offering larger backbored barrels in their lineup and they say there is no advantage of a larger backbore barrel over their standard bore barrels.  They just don't want to admit they have been wrong all these years so it seems.  

John D.

Quote from: SumToy on May 20, 2011, 06:44:32 PM
What gun are you looking to have this did to.
Quoterem 11-87

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I would love to see Remington offer a 870 with a .775 backbored barrel.  Now that would be the gun of guns. 

WyoHunter

When I was competition shooter it was standard practice to get a new barrel backbored, forcing cones lengthend and ported.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Ozark Ridge Runner

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 23, 2011, 03:00:49 PM
Well I would love to see Remington offer a 870 with a .775 backbored barrel.  Now that would be the gun of guns. 
I'm interested in why a .775 dia. barrel would be at an advantage over something in say .735 or so.  The Mossy's seem to shoot some great patterns, what is the bore diameter of those barrels?   Learn me some lessons on the logic of bore diameter if you would.