OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2011 ,Hevi-13, #7 Necropsy Results

Started by decoykrvr, May 20, 2011, 02:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I necropsied six (6) adult gobblers killed this season w/ EM Hevi-13, 12 gauge, 3", 2 0z. #7's.  The birds were killed at ranges of 18-52 yards and were all one shot kills.  Two (2) of the birds were x-rayed as a component of the necropsy and the results are given below.
1) 23 lb., 2 year old, shot at @ 52 yards (my pace factor is 33" and the yardage was calculated by averaging four (4) pace offs).  The bird was walking right to left when shot.
2) 22 lb., 3-4 year old, shot at @ 32 yards (calculated per above).  The bird was facing me with his head and neck extended.
X-Ray Results and Observations:
    1) the carcass retained pellets in the following areas : 11 head and neck, 9 left breast, 3 left central portion of body, 1 upper left thigh.  The bird had 3 pellets in the skull, 1 of which penetrated the left eye and socket and 2 which had passed through the left side of the skull into the brain cavity.  The 8 pellets in the neck were adjacent to the bones of the spinal column and 3 had passed thought the spinal column and were embedded in muscle tissue on the opposite side.  Numerous non-lethal pellet strikes and pass-throughs were noted on the caruncles, dewlap, and skin and soft tissue.
   2) the carcass retained pellets in the following areas:  23 head and neck,  6 upper breast, 1 left wing. Several pellets penetrated through the bill into the skull which contained 4 pellets and 2 passed through the skull into the posterior portion of the head. 1 penetrated and shattered the left upper humerous.  The 17 pellets retained in the neck were primarily adjacent to the neck bones with evidence that 8 pellets had passed through the vertebral column and were lodged in muscle tissue on the posterior side.  2 of the pellets in the breast had passed through 2" of tissue and were lodged against the breast bone. The skin on the head, neck, and shoulders and the caruncles and dewlap exhibited a tremendous numbers of creases and non-lethel pass-throughs.
As would be expected, the hemorrhage and soft tissue damage was much more substantial on the bird shot at 32 vs 52 yards.
I pithed the bird shot at 52 yards, but my necropsy showed that the shot of #7's was lethal.

davisd9

Going to stick with the 6s or the Mag Blends, but very interesting.  Thanks.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

clg9mm

I think they were both probably pithed about getting shot!

Reloader

Hard to believe the pellets didn't bounce off :D

JUGHEAD

stinkpickle

Hognutz

Quote from: clg9mm on May 20, 2011, 04:07:54 PM
I think they were both probably pithed about getting shot!
Now that is funny right there.. :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

ILIKEHEVI-13