turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

longbeard down!

Started by derek, May 19, 2011, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

Last week I got set up on a roosted gobbler really early.. He was in a small clump of woods with hens and I slipped in the dark.  He wasn't 25 yards away from me, which was a little closer than I intended, but he was gobbling a lot and I was pumped as I've always wanted to shoot one as soon as he hits the ground.  Before flydown, I suppose he saw me and let out about 10 putts, then started gobbling again.  I hadn't made a peep yet.  I had him dead in rights on that limb, but wasn't about to do something like that.  His hens got cranked up and flew out to the field.  When he came out, he flew out over the marsh to the field, hit the ground and never gobbled.  

This morning I get back in that same clump of woods in the pitch black.  This time I set a decoy out.  Soon I hear the sound of turkey poop hitting the ground a few feet away.  And a shuffle from another bird out in front of me.  As my eyesight started being able to focus, I see a hen bouncing around on a high limb out front.  I catch a glimpse of a longbeard breaking into strut on a low limb.  I see the familiar crook downward in his beard and know its the same bird.  Hens start making some noise and before too long he gobbles.  Again, he isn't but 25 yards away (I even made an attempt to get farther away this time but he wasn't in the same spot).  Best I could tell from following turkey sounds, there were 5 hens in that clump of woods with him.  I could see him and one hen, and had one directly overtop of me.  I would catch movement from another bird to my left, but wasn't moving a muscle until the longbeard hit the ground.  He starts gobbling more and more and the hens start getting worked up as it gets closer to flydown.  The first flap of wings start as that bird I could see out of the corner of my eye flies down in front of me.  I quickly see its another longbeard, but he never made a peep.  I make the decision I'm going to wait on my crooked bearded buddy and the first hen pitches out, backpeddling to a stop 15 yards from me.  Reminded me of duck hunting.  Next up was the gobbler.  He pitches down and breaks into strut.  I had to move my gun a little bit which I was afraid to do with 3 turkeys within 25 yards on the ground and several more watching from the trees.  Mr Crooked beard goes behind a tree, I move and no one saw it.. When he steps out I shoot and down he goes at 22 yards.  Time of death 0556 and he hadn't been on the ground for 30 seconds.  Very satisfying that I finally pulled this off as I've been trying for a while.  Again, never made a peep to him.  

20lbs 6oz, 10 1/8" beard, 1" spurs.  

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

bawana

WOW! You are the Turkey Killin Machine :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: How many does that make for the year?

Duke0002

Great hunt and bird, Derek.  Congrats.  You were right in the thick of things!

DMP

Fullfan

Congrats on a great season.
Don't gobble at me...

derek

Quote from: bawana on May 19, 2011, 12:14:30 PM
WOW! You are the Turkey Killin Machine :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: How many does that make for the year?

Thanks guys.  Number 6 for the year, certainly can't complain about this season. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

whitelightning

Congrats man!  You've been getting after it this year!

BowBendr

I think that is a stunning challenge you accomplished Derek. What an exciting way to kill a gobbler, i've wanted to try it but never figured it could be done THAT close, that's awesome !!

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

JRA

Congrats again Derek.  To me what makes your success awesome is that you are hunting public land.  Go get no. 7.

MDbowman

I was still in CO when he shot, got the phone call at 0358 mountain time!!  Always great to hear a turkey killing story!!  Congrats again son.