OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do YOU hunt field birds?

Started by birdyhunter, March 09, 2013, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdyhunter

I hear a lot of people having trouble with hunting field birds, and while I agree they can be very tricky there are some benefits to having such a visible bird. I know for me I generally scout their main entry and exit locales as well as strut zones, favorite feeding area, foilage etc then try to set up in what I think is the most high percentage area. Sometimes if its called for I will use decoys and light calling but mostly just a good setup and lots of patience. So tell me how you guys approach hunting field birds and hopefully we can all help each other be more successful this spring!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

northms

I hunt a cattle farm and it can be tough at times. I use decoys every time I go. I like to use my strutter deke almost all year mainly for the purpose that it can be seen from far away with its fan and bring in toms.

If possible use terrain to your advantage. If you can get just over a rise on the edge of a ridge or field I like that because as soon as he sticks that head over to inspect he's within range.

Also a good pair of binocs is important. Keep your head on a swivel because I get busted every year while walking looking for birds.

vtmchunter

Patience!

And decoys.  Always keeping in mind that turkeys could be in the field or watching the field from the woods.  They've got that periscope head and neck, and they can look over hills and tall grass and you wouldn't even know you've been busted.  I try to spend as little time as possible walking through open fields because of that.  This includes hunting birds roosting on field edges.  I make sure I get in way before daylight if they are roosting on a field edge.  It's no good to ruin a bird because you were walking through the field in front of him just as it was light enough for him to see you.

I've killed several field gobblers that never gobbled.  I set up before daylight where I've glassed them hanging out other days and waited, waited, waited.  Then 8:30 they walk up to the decoy, boom.

One morning I was hunting with a friend on one of his farms.  We heard gobblers on the roost and I wanted to go after them, but he said not to, that they would come to the field later.  I was pretty discouraged when they had quit gobbling going the other direction.  An hour later one walked right up to us.

Patience, scouting, and always knowing a bird could be in the field or watching the field.

redleg06

It really depends...

If I know they are roosting on the fields edge and pitching down into it then I'll usually get in at dark and try to be set up as close as possible to where I think they'll pitch down at. I'll wait to call till they fly down.

Usually I end up hunting one because I know they will eventually go to a particular field because of scouting and if so, I'll try to kill him before he ever gets to the field. In other words, getting on his most likely entry point to the field.  This happens quite a bit on some of my places...they'll pitch down in the timber and then make their way to a particular field. 

The other scenario is if I'm out trying to find one and I get a visual on one out in a field. If he's by himself, I'll try to use the terrain around the field to get in a spot i think I can call him close enough to me to kill him but that's not always possible. If I dont feel like I have a good opportunity to do that (or especially if he's got hens out there with him), I'll wait him out without calling and without ever actually getting up on the field). I'm just waiting to see If I can get an idea of where they are headed when they try to leave the field so that I can be there waiting for them in the woods.  They are just like us in that they will generally prefer to take a particular entry and exit route, whether that be a deer trail, logging road, or just natural open area that gives them the path of least resistance....so I try to watch them pick their general direction off the field and once I think I have that, use the terrain to get in front of them and be where I think they are headed once they leave the field.

Bottom line is that calling a field bird is easier when  you're in front of where he already wants to go.

Michigander

Quote from: redleg06 on March 10, 2013, 06:28:40 AM
Bottom line is that calling a field bird is easier when  you're in front of where he already wants to go.

:agreed:This sums it up well

Also, there are many times that these field birds have hens with them. These hens will usually hang around feeding and breeding for a while, but then they are headed to nesting areas. I have found that trying to figure out where the hens are going and calling softly to them will usually bring in the group.

Duke0002

-Find the paths where birds enter the field and set up near by. 

-Sometimes they use the field edges to travel somewhere else.

-Many many times older gobblers won't come out into the field, they'll hang just inside the tree/weed lines.   IMO they're looking for hens...or potential trouble.  Sometimes they'll strut silently inside tree line, not too often will they gobble (my experience).  If they do come out into the field, it will be for a very short time for a look-see.  Keep alert for a quick shot.  With that being said, if they're following hens and if you can get the hens to come your way, you're in business. 

-Sometimes older gobblers will enter the field and hang up at distance from your decoys and your calling.  He's expecting your decoy hens to come to him.  Hung up -tough situation.

-Early morning.  More dominant gobblers have little reason to visit your field set up if they're tending to hens in the woods surrounding the field.  But after 9:00AM -ish... fasten your seat belt!  Jakes and 2 yr-olds will often be first to check the field and follow hens to their nest.  Older gobblers will come to field/woods edge, very often in silence.  You may get them to gobble at your calling while they're deeper in the woods, but once they get some yds before reaching the field they often clam up.

-Always be alert to what's behind you.  A sneaker may come and go without you knowing it!

Anyway, this has been my field hunting experience.

guesswho

I love field turkey's.  Nothing is a guess as far as their reactions to what you do.  You get to see what trip's his or her trigger.  I pretty much just mirror their movement from the cover of the timber trying different calls etc.  Usually you will hit on something that seems to get the response your looking for whether it be from a hen or the gobbler.  If you don't find the right combo it's still fun keeping up with them.  Usually if I don't manage to kill him the first day I will have learned enough about him to kill him the second day.  There are exceptions though.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff