turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

safety measures

Started by saltysenior, February 01, 2013, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

seems like most worry about redbugs,skeeters, snakes,ticks,ect......i now worry more about some other guy walking around with a itchy trigger finger and a very potent load in his 12ga.....i also hide in the bushes and make noise like a turkey.  this is not a good combination.....any ideas about how to make yourself or your position more noticeable to other hunters but not to the turkey ??? :OGturkeyhead:

guesswho

It's getting worse every year.   That's what one of these companies need to come up with instead of a belly flopping decoy.  They need a hunter present device that other hunters could pick up on, but not to obvious to the turkey birds.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Kylongspur88

I take an orange hat with me on public ground. Last spring 2 guys were shot in separate incidents in my county. I honestly think spring turkey is more dangerous than fall gun for deer.

Skillet9510

I believe Hunters Safety System has a type of orange cone if you will that reads hunter in the area. The problem with that is you give away your "spot". I have had more "older" hunters walk up on me while hunting. When asked why, they would reply "you sounded like a real hen and not a hunter!" I try to set up where I can see them before they see me. If someone happens to walk up I will whistle and then start talking. I think we could all be more educated and slow down just a bit. Just my $.02

archery1

IT WON'T MATTER IF YOU PUT A ORANGE ELEPHANT NEXT TO YOU.. YOU ARE GONNA HAVE SOMEONE COME UP ON YOU  AND MAYBE EVEN THINK THERE IS A TURKEY IN THE AREA WITH THAT ORANGE ELEPHANT BESIDE YOU..OR WANNA SEE UR SPOT!!!
THERE ARE SO MANY HUNTERS
THAT'S WHY I WISH I COULD AFFORD MY OWN LAND!!!!!!!!!!!
I STOPPED HUNTING DEER FOR 4 YEARS WITH A GUN CAUSE THE BULLETS THIS GUY WAS SHOOTING WERE SO CLOSE I COULD HEAR THEM CUTTING AIR,
EVEN WITH  A FL. ORANGE JACKET ON.. HE WAS JUST SO WORRIED ABOUT SHOOTING A DEER THAT HE COULDNT SEE ORANGE ????
I WAS 80 YARDS AWAY IN PLAIN SIGHT
Take a kid hunting

saltysenior

i hunt public and semi-public land............

the trouble with ribbons, makings or other objects that show that there is a hunter in the area,is that people abuse their intended meaning (safety) by using them to try to ''reserve'' a spot they like..if another hunter comes across a warning marker of sorts,99%will turn around and go away,therefore leaving the ''spot'' unused until the one who marked the spot decides to return..my motto now is ''GET THERE FIRST"

I find people leaving blinds in spots now with the same purpose in mind, but i'll start another thread on that problem later

cahaba

I believe turkey and the land they are on gets poached upon more than deer. My hunting partner got shot by a guy he was hunting with a few years back. He got hit with a load of #4s and almost died. He only hunts with me now which makes me proud that he trust me. I always taught new hunters to not shoot at just a head or beard or any part of a turkey till you see the WHOLE turkey. The only thing that's going to help stop hunters getting shot is hunter education and even then you are going to still have the nuts with itchy fingers.

chatterbox

Quote from: cahaba on February 03, 2013, 06:06:16 AM
I believe turkey and the land they are on gets poached upon more than deer. My hunting partner got shot by a guy he was hunting with a few years back. He got hit with a load of #4s and almost died. He only hunts with me now which makes me proud that he trust me. I always taught new hunters to not shoot at just a head or beard or any part of a turkey till you see the WHOLE turkey. The only thing that's going to help stop hunters getting shot is hunter education and even then you are going to still have the nuts with itchy fingers.
This. It is my number 1 fear when I take my son on public land. I try to hunt as much on private land as possible.

Kylongspur88

As far as private versus public, private land around me might as well be public with all the trespassers.

turkey_slayer

The truth is nobody should have to worry about being shot. People do not look like turkeys nor have a visible beard sprouting from their chest. Rifles are still legal here, which lots of people use, and that worries me more than anything. Me moving in close to a gobbling bird and some jack wagon 150 yards away on the next ridge picks up my movement through the tree tops and decides to pop a round off. No reason being shot with a rifle or shotgun

saltysenior

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 04, 2013, 08:24:01 PM
The truth is nobody should have to worry about being shot. People do not look like turkeys nor have a visible beard sprouting from their chest. Rifles are still legal here, which lots of people use, and that worries me more than anything. Me moving in close to a gobbling bird and some jack wagon 150 yards away on the next ridge picks up my movement through the tree tops and decides to pop a round off. No reason being shot with a rifle or shotgun

you have a different situation up there......we ain't got no ridges ,just flat woods with lots of foliage year round.....these turkeys down here don't gobble much (if at all) especially where there is pressure....soooooo. run and gun is not feasible on most public land ....90% of the time ,you hope your in a good spot but if you don't hear one then its time to find a spot where you think they will show up and make your self comfortable and hidden and start calling....that's were the problem starts...the other 10% are walking around thinking they can sneak up on a turkey and listening for turkey sound  ( which 98.5 % of the time is another hunter hidden in the bushes).....if there was a universal marking that turkeys ignore but other hunters recognize, things would be a lot safer ,i would think.......i just pinned 2 strips of green flagging tape, 24'' long,vertically to a pine in the back yard just to see what it looked like ..I think that will be my idea..