OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikers

Started by Hootowl, April 04, 2012, 02:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

I know when you purchase a Pot call, it comes with a Striker, and Custom pot also, so they send you the striker that they think sounds good with the Pot, So why could'nt you change them around, and create a New sound or even a Better sound, Maybe? I was just messing with some of my Pot calls and was woundering....I have to much time on my hands, being on sick leave.

Hoot

Trevor2

Most ppl including myself do exactly that. I have 12-15 strikers in my vest lol They have all passed the test, of sounding good, so when I decide to break one out, I have many choices. :drool:
Strutstopper

captin_hook

Mix em up, never know what sound they're gonna make toll u try em.

TauntoHawk

people often forget strikers are half the sound and are cheaper than buying new calls.

its hard to take a bad call and make it good with any striker, but you can easily find a striker that will make a good call AMAZING with the right combo..
Ive got a couple of killer pots so Ive been buying up tons of strikers finding perfect pairs
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cahaba

jakebird

Im another guy who carries about a dozen strikers and two pots. Each striker combo has a unique sound. Several are hoemmade and i'll admit some are rough, but they sound good and thats all that really matters in the end!  :)
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Dinger

For all of you bowhunters out there....don't throw away your broken carbon shafts.  I cut them with a dremel tool to about 8 inches.  I shove them into a piece of corn cob and they make EXCELLENT strikers!  They work really well on one of my aluminum pots but work well on my slates and glass too.

gunnerj

No matter what the friction call, a different striker gives you another call. I have several different strikers in the vest.

tomanyturkeycalls

The first thing I do when I get a new pot no matter what surface is try different strikers on it.. you can get alot of different sounds out of one pot with different strikers..

Hootowl

Dinger, I did just what you said and Now I have a Pretty neat new Sounding striker, Thanks for the Tip.

vtmchunter

Does anyone have any recommendations for different strikers to get for someone who just has one striker per pot?  Types of wood?  What makes them make different sounds?

Hootowl

vtmchunter
                  When you buy a Pot call you get a Striker, as for buying just a striker, I would say some of the Call builders would sell you some? Go the section call builders and ask if someone would sell you a striker, I have several, Cherry, and others, I have probably 5 different one's. Give it a Go and seeif they will sell just the strikers? Good Luck.
Just went to Ebay and type in (friction call strikers), there were several there you can Buy.

Hoot

gunnerj

Quote from: vtmchunter on April 13, 2012, 07:56:43 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for different strikers to get for someone who just has one striker per pot?  Types of wood?  What makes them make different sounds?

I have an oak and a different laminate from Woodhaven that I bought through Midwest Turk Supply. They have a ton of different strikers from different guys there. Get the catalog.