OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

its just not right or is it? makers selling calls while you have an order placed

Started by adkmountainken, February 18, 2018, 11:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

myself and a few others that i know have orders for calls from certain makers that take your order (money) and then you wait which is usually no problem with me. the thing that just burns me up is when they go to a convention and sell 3 dozen of the same call that you have on order AND paid for WEEKS before.  to me this just does NOT sit well. am i expecting to much? i have no problem placing a custom order for big dollors and being told there is a year wait, no problem BUT don't sell 12 calls just like what i ordered at a show.

Haymarket

Sorry, but the call maker has to show up at a big show with stock to sell. He can't come short...it's about marketing and sales, and it's his biggest event of the year. Perfectly reasonable thing to do, and something a lot of the custom makers have to do.

adkmountainken

thank you for the reply just does not seem like you should take the orders without the inventory...

Fieldturkey

Happy

If a call maker would tell me it would be a while then I have no problem with it. If it irritated me that bad and I had to have a call then I would go to whatever show he was selling them at and buy one. The call makers has a bussiness to run. And yes I understand treating customers like they matter but there is a point to where they have to look out for the well being of their business.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

adkmountainken

yes i am the MM2 to be precise....i LOVE Daves call BUT a salesman he is not.

guesswho

It's all in the communication.   As long as I was told up front it's going to be X number of months, then no problem.  I figure the reason it's going to take X number of months is because he has several calls to build to take to the show, even calls like what I ordered.  A commitment he made before I placed my order.   Now if thy told me 2 months, and 4 months later I still don't have my call then there's an issue that needs to be discussed.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

southern_leo

I understand your frustration but I disagree. Chances are they have a specific inventory set aside for the shows. This is part of inventory management for any company. You generally have wholesale and retail inventories so a sale inventory and show inventory is the same thing. During shows people, myself included, will delay ordering to buy at the shows. So whether your waiting for the show or at your house for a call i don't see the difference. Your customers expect to see your products at the shows. Especially a show with thousands of customers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

adkmountainken

again thanks for the replies perhaps it will change the way i think if this is common place among call builders that attend shows and conventions, i will have to keep that in mind when placing an order and have some more patience.

Happy hooker

This is done in musky fishing too there are hand made custom painted and weighed jerk and glide baits that you wait one to two years for,,the makers still bring baits to the muskie expos to sell.

What I would like is if you have a hot item call that you limit a person to "one" of that item at a show or you end up getting guys buying them up and selling them for twice on eBay,,there's a musky bait called a "fat bastard" that they do this with.

Sixes

I doubt they would want to pay the bills of a high dollar booth at a major show without selling calls to recoup those expenditures.

But, i do know what you are saying. Same as what you see at Unicoi.  Some huge name box call makers with long wait times are there selling calls.

BottomLand54

That's how you get all these calls others wait 2-3 years on glad they bring some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

Good topic. Some call makers put a buy it now through PayPal on their website as if the call was available. Than you hear nothing from the makers. You get an email from PayPal confirming your purchase and that's all you get. So are you supposed to assume the call was shipped and lost or assume the call hasn't been shipped and your on a list. These call makers that add the buy it now to their product should have stock on hand or at least give you a waiting  time on the call right on the site under that specific calls advertisement. Also I believe you should at least get an email or phone call which ever is easier for them to at least let you know what to expect.

I ordered a call last year, waited 6 weeks and thought I better make a call. I did make the call, more than a couple times and finally gave up. On the 8th week the call showed up and I wasn't aware it was coming. Now had I been away on vacation that call may have got ruined sitting outside in the mailbox or worse yet if it didn't fit in the box it would have been sitting on the front porch and got ruined. 

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Happy hooker

Yelpy
That's why I rent a cheap P.0. Box,,your ordered items are safe,,,if you have access to one.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 18, 2018, 01:02:06 PM
That's how you get all these calls others wait 2-3 years on glad they bring some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol.....Most generally we have an idea of how a callmaker does business before we place an order and make the decision to order or not order. If a guy doesn't like the way they do business after the fact see If you can cancel the order and just don't order from them again..Most of us have other calls to use and just want another and wait patiently. Otherwise go to the convention,pick callmakers that have calls on hand,or Wal-Mart towards spring...
Callmakers aren't going to have a booth at the convention and not sell any calls...