OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey leg recipes

Started by Moore, July 27, 2018, 08:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moore

Hi all,
I haven't been on here for awhile. I'm looking for some recipes for turkey leg and thighs. I made a white stew which was pretty good. What do you folks make with them?
[

falltoms

We make turkey chilli out of the legs and thighs. Also, sometimes the legs will be somewhat tough to chew compared to the breast meat. A simple solution for that is to cook them in a crock pot with Apple cider vinegar.  It's a wonderful marinate and it tenderizes the meat.  Some people throw away the legs and thighs, could never understand why

Spring Creek Calls

I put 2 legs and 2 thighs in the pressure cooker with a couple cups of water. When done and cool I pull everything off the bones and tendons and  chop it up on a cutting board. I do about half in turkey salad and the other half BBQ sauce. Got some in the fridge now. I also make soup out of the broth. Add barley, green beans, corn, onion and garlic, season to taste.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

guesswho

Pressure cook and pull the meat.  Them make turkey and gravey served with homemade biscuits.  Tastes a lot like squirrel gravey.  Good supper, lunch and breakfast.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on July 27, 2018, 08:54:24 PM
I put 2 legs and 2 thighs in the pressure cooker with a couple cups of water. When done and cool I pull everything off the bones and tendons and  chop it up on a cutting board. I do about half in turkey salad and the other half BBQ sauce. Got some in the fridge now. I also make soup out of the broth. Add barley, green beans, corn, onion and garlic, season to taste.

This!  Pulled BBQ turkey sandwiches!  Best way to eat legs and thighs.

redjones

Crock pot until falling apart then we use them for pot pies,casseroles,even burritos.

Greg
Semper Fi

zsully

Tomato braised turkey legs. Heard about the recipe on the wired to hunt podcast. It takes some prep work but it is definitely worth it. Link to the recipe is below. I go one step further and shred the meat off the bones and pour everything over toast for an open face sandwich. My mouth is watering just thinking about this.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2016/05/09/best-wild-turkey-leg-recipe-ever-tomato-braised-turkey-legs/

WAGinVA

Look on the NWTF site for Wild Turkey Osso Bucco.  Takes some time but the results are outstanding.

tracker#1

I take a large pot of water and simmer the legs until meat slips of the bones easily. 4 hours or so. Strain the broth. Discard bones and grizzle. Add sliced carrots, diced white onions, 1 chopped stalk of celery, teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons of turkey bullion or chicken, salt to taste, simmer 2 more hours. Add home made (flour) noodles or store bought. Freeze left over soup for a cold day. I don't waste anything I harvest. 2 sets of legs in freezer now, waiting for a snowy day....great soup

chcltlabz

I bone out the legs, thighs, wings and back meat and grind it.  I can get a good 3 pounds of extra meat from a turkey that way, and there's no end to what you can do with ground turkey.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.