turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

EHD AKA Bluetongue.

Started by redarrow, October 05, 2012, 09:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Was getting ready to leave the truck for an evening hunt went a fella pulled up and asked if I had seen the dead  deer in the farms pond . We talked quite a bit about the EHD in our area. A farm north of where I hunt reportedly buried 500 dead deer that were found on the farm dead from EHD. I checked out the floater in the pond then took a walk and found another at the swamp edge.Most of the afternoon and evening was filled with the stench of rotting deer.I imagine there are a bunch more to be found.Just to clarify things EHD and Bluetongue are not the same virus/ disease but they are very similar .Do any of you fellas know if it is safe to eat deer that "might" be infected. I seen 5 or 6 nice does this evening that looked healthy.

kamski1151

Yeah billie the DNR says EHD can't be transmitted to humans, but you know how I feel about the DNR. :-X

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

redarrow

Quote from: kamski1151 on October 05, 2012, 09:53:19 PM
Yeah billie the DNR says EHD can't be transmitted to humans, but you know how I feel about the DNR. :-X

Just to be on the safr side you get to tastes test all my backstraps.

kamski1151

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

FANMAN

We've got it in Illinois also...where it is there is heavy loss..luckly where I hunt I haven't found any deer or heard any stories.

Spring Creek Calls

Found one floater while duck hunting this morning and could smell others along the St. Joe river in SW MI.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

redarrow

Quote from: Gobblez on October 06, 2012, 09:28:30 PM
Found one floater while duck hunting this morning and could smell others along the St. Joe river in SW MI.

I heard you folks to the west were getting hit real hard.

flintlock

We got HAMMERED 3-4 years ago in Ky but they have rebounded.   The drought and no-see-ums brought it on from what I heard.

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

sixbird

EHD has shown up in Gloucester County N.J. this year...Farmer told me the other day that between his farm and a farm next door he estimated they found about 30 dead deer, mostly near water. One was a HUGE 14 point (I saw that one and a smallish 8 pt.)...

Kylongspur88

We had it bad a few years ago. I have heard the meat was safe. Some deer will survive it and be immune next time. I heard that cracked hooves are an indicator that a deer had survived an outbreak. Cooler temps and some rain should put an end to it.

strutnva

On years with an outbreak in your areas, have you guys curbed your doe harvest or continued to kill the same ammount of deer as normal?  I am having this debate with a buddy now who thinks our herd in Va is off 50%.  I don't think so myself that it is anywhere near 50% kill.

Neill_Prater

My brother-in-law told me the other day he has found dead deer on his farm here in SW MO, but he didn't indicate how many.

Spellnj3

I found a huge 10 pt next to the river near my house, how do I know if he was sick or not, couldnt find any holes like he had been shot, no broken bones like he was hit by a car????   He was rotted out, no guts, so he might have been gut shot but I doubt it. No one hunts where I found him.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Spellnj3

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

redarrow

Looks like the ones I have been finding.