turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Router Bits

Started by redarrow, August 25, 2012, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

No replies from the call making folks so I guess I'll try here.

I recently purchased a router and table with the intention of making picture frames out of barn wood. I need to get these awesome drawings I got from Flintlock hung up on the wall.Anyway what bits would you suggest I purchase first.I have a chop saw for the 45s but don't know what bit I need for the groove where the glass sits.I hope to make a few trough calls in the future too.

mossy835

My only advice is make sure all of the bits you buy are carbide tipped. I many years ago took a project I had in mind with me to the Black and Decker store and found the bits (with a person that knew the product from the store) that I really needed. I still have them and they are still sharp. Also watch your fingers!!!!

redarrow

Thanks. I think what I need is a rabbetting bit,but not sure.

magnoliagamecalls

If I was doing them I would get a straight bit. This companys bits arent the best but arent the worst either but they have free shipping. Just get some scrap wood run a few pieces until you get the depth and width your wanting to hold your glass. Then find some cardboard cut to size for the backs and add some small pieces of wood that will act as a hinge to hold the cardboard, picture, and glass to the frame. I am sure you have a Home Depot or Lowes they should carry a brand of bits call Frued. They are good quality bits.

You also can get some other bits to add some profile to your boards.

Also, look at one of the corner clamps. it will give you an extra set of hands while building the frames.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_straight.html

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/can-do.html

redarrow

Thanks,thats exactly what I was looking for.I like the price too.