OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Yelping on a diaphragm call...

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 07, 2017, 01:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Does anybody yelp with a diaphragm call by actually mouthing the word "yelp"?

This seems to give me what I think is the best rythm.

Rzrbac

I don't. I would say I'm probably closer to mouthing WOW and making it a 2 syllable word.  Kind of like people down here y'all.

I'm dropping my bottom jaw on the 2nd syllable.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

deerbasshunter3

I am assuming no way is wrong, just personal preference?

WNCTracker

I don't know what I'm saying but it has a "p" on the end...Learning to close my lips at the end of the yelp helped me sound more realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joker

You can also try "churp". It gives the yelp a nice high front.

kjnengr

I think the biggest thing with "saying a word" is an easy way to convey correct tongue position.  The "Y" in yelp forces your tongue up to the roof of you mouth and the the rest of the word drops your tongue down to make the second note.

Check this video out...

Once you call enough your tongue should know what to and you shouldn't actually mouth a word. 

SteelerFan

kjnengr

sasquatch1

I'm close to a yelp word myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I always teach a 2 tone, 2 syllable "yelp" and the "words" are Key Yolk, a high and low to make a yelp... just my way.

MK M GOBL

SteelerFan

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 08, 2017, 10:58:27 PM
I always teach a 2 tone, 2 syllable "yelp" and the "words" are Key Yolk, a high and low to make a yelp... just my way.

MK M GOBL

That's a good point. Also, pay more attention to your jaw & tongue movement when saying those words slowly - without the call in your mouth. Then duplicate that movement with the call in, but don't worry about actually "saying" those words... just the mechanics as you move air across the reeds.

PaytonWP

The easiest way that got me on track was to hiss like a cat on your front note. That puts your tongue close to where it needs to be to get the front note of the yelp. You'll have to move your tongue to one side or the other depending on the cut of your call but just play around with it until you can make the high pitched noise without much rasp. Then just lower your tongue some to get the end raspy note.