OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need New Crow Call

Started by 870BkWht, January 31, 2017, 07:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Ridge on January 31, 2017, 01:38:19 PM
I have not personally ran any better than the crow call by WildTalker Game Calls (Mike Battey). Here is a video of him running it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOgwN3BVLQM
I tried to get one of these but it said the site hadn't been updated in some time and I had zero luck contacting anyone. Would love to have a Battey crow call. Having said that, I've got a Gibson and love it thus far.

Rzrbac

I'm looking for one too. I have always had some sort of Primos crow call. I seldom strike a bird with a crow call. My son makes fun of my current call and says it sounds horrible. I don't hunt crows, just want one to strike a bird or light one up if I want to move and relocate. I'm thinking of calling Mr. Gibson today but I'm not sure what I would ask him for other than something to fire up gobblers.  Anymore recommendations or suggestions about what to ask him for.

davisd9

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 02, 2017, 09:08:40 AM
I'm looking for one too. I have always had some sort of Primos crow call. I seldom strike a bird with a crow call. My son makes fun of my current call and says it sounds horrible. I don't hunt crows, just want one to strike a bird or light one up if I want to move and relocate. I'm thinking of calling Mr. Gibson today but I'm not sure what I would ask him for other than something to fire up gobblers.  Anymore recommendations or suggestions about what to ask him for.

Tell him you want a field grade crow call to use as a locator call. The opening on the locator call is larger than some crow hunting calls to have more volume. He knows what you are looking for and will fix you up quickly.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rzrbac

I just spoke to Mr. Gibson. A fine gentleman and I enjoyed the conversation. I'm really not sure what kind of call he is making me, it's something new he just started making. He said he took 4 to UNCOI and sold them as soon as he got there. I think it's gonna be made from burl oak. I told him whatever he thought would sound best.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input, hope I don't get addicted to crow calls like I see some are, that would cut into my elk budget!

davisd9

Must be his new smaller call, it is a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 02, 2017, 11:42:40 AM
I just spoke to Mr. Gibson. A fine gentleman and I enjoyed the conversation. I'm really not sure what kind of call he is making me, it's something new he just started making. He said he took 4 to UNCOI and sold them as soon as he got there. I think it's gonna be made from burl oak. I told him whatever he thought would sound best.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input, hope I don't get addicted to crow calls like I see some are, that would cut into my elk budget!
Look for pics for some of his calls, you'll get addicted

Bowguy

Some Gibson pics
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

Those are beautiful calls. He asked me what I had in mind for wood and I told him I admire pretty calls and have a few nice boxes but I just wanted one for hunting. I told him he could wrap it in duct tape if that made it sound good. He laughed at that, I explained I hunt hard and cover a lot of ground it wasn't gonna set on a shelf. He gave me the impression none of his calls wouldn't look good on a shelf.

Bowguy

They're all beautiful n all sound great. And he's stabilizing most if not all now I believe which adds to the weatherproofing. He told me the screamer was made specially for locating turks. I've user both stabilized n non. Both work

Rzrbac

Please educate me on what stabilized wood is.

Bowguy

It's a resin vaccuum sealed in to make the wood more impervious to the weather. All the outer wood pores get filled in

Rzrbac

That must be why a lot of the calls I see look polished and so slick

Bowguy

That's what the finished product looks like. I'm no expert on stabilizing but that is the jist of it

Rzrbac

I'm guessing that process takes place after the call is turned and sounded or basically completed.

Bowguy

I'm thinking you're correct. Again I don't wish to mislead you w bad info.