Long Beard XR pellet count

Started by klemsontigers7, February 11, 2014, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klemsontigers7

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 12, 2014, 10:18:21 PM
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 11, 2014, 07:18:10 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 11, 2014, 07:12:21 PM
that load is about 25 pellets light   :wave: 3"  1 3/4oz 6,s
Some post recently on here with 3 1/2" showed around 25 or so heavy, others claim more than 2 oz. :toothy9:       Not  HATING JUST WONDERING.???
But if your ticked :  give me a 41 yard head start    :TooFunny:

How is it light?  It's common knowledge that the resin is part of the 1.75 oz.
Not so according to Senior Product Manager Brad Criner of Olin Winchester Ammunition.  I spoke with him on the telephone last week and asked him about that.  He said that the wads they are using in both the 3" and 3.5" shell allow for 1.75 and 2 ounces of shot and the resin.  He went on to say that there is absolutely no truth to that rumor.

I guess every rumor you hear isn't true... amazing.  I'll weigh them tomorrow, and we'll know for sure.

strut-stopper

"The downside of Long Beard is that the buffer material adds about a quarter ounce of weight, meaning the 2 ounce loads I shot actually contained only 1 ¾ ounces of shot and ¼ ounce of buffer.  To keep recoil and pressures down Winchester reduced the velocity to a modest 1125 fps. Lead retains velocity and energy well and I doubt a turkey will feel the difference."

That's a quote from the review in field and stream.

scdxt

Quote from: strut-stopper on February 13, 2014, 06:44:02 PM
"The downside of Long Beard is that the buffer material adds about a quarter ounce of weight, meaning the 2 ounce loads I shot actually contained only 1 ¾ ounces of shot and ¼ ounce of buffer.  To keep recoil and pressures down Winchester reduced the velocity to a modest 1125 fps. Lead retains velocity and energy well and I doubt a turkey will feel the difference."

I wonder why all the first reviews were at 1125 and all my boxes of LB say 1200?

Philippe

Quote from: strut-stopper on February 13, 2014, 06:44:02 PM

That is a load of crap too. The weight of the buffer does not not factory into the actual payload weight. Clark even confirmed that himself!

Longshanks

Folks seem to be doing everything they can to discredit the Winchester LB's. Kinda strange, oh well, I think I'm just gonna kill turkey's with them and leave the science to Winchester. The patterns speak for themselves. Inside 40 they are all business.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Longshanks on February 13, 2014, 09:47:38 PM
Folks seem to be doing everything they can to discredit the Winchester LB's. Kinda strange, oh well, I think I'm just gonna kill turkey's with them and leave the science to Winchester. The patterns speak for themselves.
Exactly!!!  Don't hate the player--hate the game!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

scdxt

Folks seem to be doing everything they can to discredit the Winchester LB's. Kinda strange, oh well, I think I'm just gonna kill turkey's with them and leave the science to Winchester. The patterns speak for themselves. Inside 40 they are all business.
Im with this guy!!

Hooksnhorns

Yup, a couple weeks into the season there will a lot more believers I spect...
Don't Tread On Me

scdxt

Quote from: Hooksnhorns on February 13, 2014, 09:59:57 PM
Yup, a couple weeks into the season there will a lot more believers I spect...
:z-winnersmiley:

mwr

Quote from: scdxt on February 13, 2014, 09:51:38 PM
Im with this guy!!
me 2!! :funnyturkey:

klemsontigers7

Alright, official weight is in.......

3" #6 1.75 oz with an actual weight of 1.76 oz (very little buffer left, shot only)

I got 99% of the resin off of the shot.

klemsontigers7

Since 369 pellets made up the weight of 396 copper plated lead #6 pellets, they are heavier on average than normal #6.  Remember, these are copper plated and copper is less dense than lead... making these pellets on average a good bit heavier than a normal #6.

ericjames

BandedSpur

Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 14, 2014, 07:20:35 AM
Since 369 pellets made up the weight of 396 copper plated lead #6 pellets, they are heavier on average than normal #6.  Remember, these are copper plated and copper is less dense than lead... making these pellets on average a good bit heavier than a normal #6.

Those pellets are only heavier than nominal #6 pellets because they are slightly larger. I know you miced a random sample of 10 pellets and got .111. But I bet measuring the entire load would reveal that they average .112, which is enough larger than the nominal diameter of .110 to account for the lower pellet count in the shell.

I'm in no way being critical of the Winch LBs - the patterns speak for themselves. I just don't want people to get the idea that Winch is using some exotic lead formula that is denser than any other CP lead. The copper plating on lead pellets is so thin as to have very little effect on the density of the pellet. You can't make a lead alloy pellet any denser unless you decrease the antimony content, which would tend to make the pellet softer, and make for poorer patterns.

Sizing of lead shot is not an exact science. There will always be variation in pellet count, due to small size differences, and the Winch LBs are no exception.

klemsontigers7

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 14, 2014, 10:30:37 AM
Quote from: klemsontigers7 on February 14, 2014, 07:20:35 AM

Those pellets are only heavier than nominal #6 pellets because they are slightly larger. I know you miced a random sample of 10 pellets and got .111. But I bet measuring the entire load would reveal that they average .112, which is enough larger than the nominal diameter of .110 to account for the lower pellet count in the shell.

I'm in no way being critical of the Winch LBs - the patterns speak for themselves. I just don't want people to get the idea that Winch is using some exotic lead formula that is denser than any other CP lead. The copper plating on lead pellets is so thin as to have very little effect on the density of the pellet. You can't make a lead alloy pellet any denser unless you decrease the antimony content, which would tend to make the pellet softer, and make for poorer patterns.

Sizing of lead shot is not an exact science. There will always be variation in pellet count, due to small size differences, and the Winch LBs are no exception.

I didn't want to draw that conclusion yet... they are definitely heavier, but are they larger or more dense?

I am knocking all of the resin off (tiny pieces stuck to pellets) right now so that I can reweigh and I'm going to get a volume, then we will, without a doubt, know the density.