OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which decoys do you all like

Started by luked, April 22, 2016, 08:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

I agree with getting something on sale. I was going to join in on the decoy craze, but held back due to remembering all the birds that I've called into my old ratty ones that are easy to carry. Then on first season when a big Tom came in and beat my Jake so hard he flew off the stake and still was stomping it on the ground until I stepped in and saved the poor thing. That sealed the deal I'm sticking with my old reliables.

2dogs1name

Quote from: HFultzjr on April 22, 2016, 08:54:04 AM
I just purchased a Montana Miss Purr-fect.
Seems perfect for what I need and very realistic and portable.
Check Midway USA, as they have them on sale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587093/montana-decoy-miss-purr-fect-turkey-decoy-cotton-polyester-and-steel

I didn't receive it yet, but will report back when I get it.
Videos of it on youtube.
I use this one and it works!

TRG3

This season, I used my Pretty Boy, Funky Chicken, and a foldable foam jake to take three different gobblers. All were set up just to the rear of a hen decoy staked to the ground in the breeding position. All three pulled in nice gobblers that came in to challenge the intruder tom, most likely something to do with the peck order. One year, I even made a gobbler decoy out of a black bucket with an added fan and wings attached to the bucket's side with which I took two gobblers via my flintlock fowler. Based on this, and several years of similar experience, I tend to lean toward the arrangement of the decoys as being more critical than how much you've paid for decoy reality. In the turkey kingdom, both gobblers and hens have a peck order. Their code of hierarchy is determined through constant fighting and intimidation within the flock, so when a "stranger" enters their world, it is not unusual for them to check out the new intruder, often wanting to challenge him. I try to use this chink in their armor to my advantage.

Cutt

Personally wouldn't waste my money on any of them, why buy something that isn't even needed to kill a tom? And some are rediculously expensive, where I'd use that money on shells or calls instead.

husker

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 23, 2016, 09:55:58 PM
I actually just ordered the miss perfect and the jake combo. I do not use decoys although there have been times they may work. They looked good , seem easy to carry and quick to set up , not to mention they are priced good right now. I will at least have them in my vest and will most likely give them a try next year.

+ 5 on the Montana combo.

yelpy

DSD's when set up on a field but they sure get heavy at times.

Gooserbat

DSD or Avian X.  Both have advantages and disadvantages. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gobblerhead

Check out Deception decoys. Had the pleasure of meeting and talking with the guys Friday and they are a great group of guys making an awesome decoy. Full bodies but not rubber like Avian X which I own two that have both have issues and not from being shot either. I killed a tom in Arkansas this year without a decoy and then killed two in 1 1/2 hrs in KS with a flock of decoys out. Who can understand a crazy ole bird.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!

markjm15

I love the avian x decoys. Very durable and realistic. They come with collapsible stakes and carry bags. My brother and I do a lot of running and gunning and they are no problem for us to break down or set up in less than a minute. They are a bit on the pricey side though.
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

turkeykiller

Sevenyearsandcounting

Avianx decoy has spooked a tom once. I really have not seen a bird react to it all yet. I was shocked because it looks great and were setting up in fields. Not sure if I'll bring it along anymore. Doesn't seem to matter.

kjcamper

I will say that what brand of decoy you use is far less important than woodsmanship. That said I have been hunting since the '80s with a lot of different brand decoys. I purchased 2 Avian X brand decoys last year and had 2 Tom's take turns mounting one of them. I waited until they separated from the decoys before taking one of them. Never did I have a Tom mount one of my old foam decoys.I also had a hen come to them and she started acting aggressive toward the upright decoy purring and yelping and pecking at it. She got a Tom to gobble behind me that I didn't know was there and he came in strutting to the live hen's actions. Would the hen have acted that way towards my old Feather Flex decoys? I don't know maybe but I am glad I purchased the Avian X decoys.

Gobspur

My avian x hen just started leaking around the valve at the end of second season.  Lightly used and cared for too.  Common problem with these.  I like them otherwise, but their really chinese junk.

wvlimbhanger

I'm a DSD guy.  They are easier to carry than you think, made in America, and don't have to worry about leaks.  My wife's uncle shot a bird that was right on my jake this spring, you can shake him and hear pellets rattle.  Can't tell a bit of damage by lookin at him.

ilbucksndux

No more than I use a decoy(once maybe twice a season) a cheap one works just fine. I have a couple of HS decoys that the kids got me for Christmas or Fathers day several years ago and thats what I use. I can roll it up and put it in my vest so I have it if I need it.
Gary Bartlow