turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy Movement

Started by Hootowl, April 16, 2012, 03:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

I know with all the decoys out there today, with tails that move, But do you really want your Decoy to be spinning around on its stake, I would think that some Movement would be fine, But like today here in Indiana its blowing hard, although Hunting is a Few days away, I would have to leave mine at home if I hunted today, I did come up with a Pretty neat trick with my decoys HS type open Cavity, On windy days I would attached a small string to it inside the opening long enough to let it move some, and stake it to the ground, But Now and some last year I went with Cherokee Sports Decoys. That I really Like, I know alot of Turkey Hunters that don't use Decoys, But I fill they give me that confidence I need.

Hoot

Half fast

Good Luck    :fud:     :OGani:

bbcoach

Hoot,
I use decoys alot also, especially when I'm hunting open areas (ie fields, logging roads).  I have found that if the decoys don't have some movement, gobblers will hang up.  When birds come into our setups they are constantly on the move and thats what they want to see from our decoys.  I use Primos Ground Breaker Stakes on all my decoys.  They come with a wing nut at the top of the stake which allows me to adjust the tension on the decoy which allows me an opportunity to adjust the spin of the decoy in any wind.  I put a large washer under the wingnut to help with the adjustment.  I also use the Swingin Hen from Primos.  This feeder hen has a head that swings with the slightest wind, making her look as if she is really feeding.  Check them out and see what you think.

unclerick

I like my dekes moveing some, a little wind is great for me. On them windy days I'll put mine next to or in weeds and next to corn stalks so they their restricted in movement, sometimes I'll cut a thin limb and use it for a stake on calm still days that way they bob and turn with the slightest breeze.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

renegade19

Quote from: bbcoach on April 16, 2012, 06:19:14 PM
Hoot,
I use decoys alot also, especially when I'm hunting open areas (ie fields, logging roads).  I have found that if the decoys don't have some movement, gobblers will hang up.  When birds come into our setups they are constantly on the move and thats what they want to see from our decoys.  I use Primos Ground Breaker Stakes on all my decoys.  They come with a wing nut at the top of the stake which allows me to adjust the tension on the decoy which allows me an opportunity to adjust the spin of the decoy in any wind.  I put a large washer under the wingnut to help with the adjustment.  I also use the Swingin Hen from Primos.  This feeder hen has a head that swings with the slightest wind, making her look as if she is really feeding.  Check them out and see what you think.

Completely agree with the no movement/hang up statement.  Especially in a field.  Buddy and I killed a double last week, birds were in a field and hung up until the wind moved the dekes just a little then they came in pretty quick.

gtrjames

I've seen motion decoys make a huge difference...I just like to be able to control the motion...I have the motion decoy that mounts on a stake /spring and is controlled by fishing line...works great.

gtrjames

http://turkeydecoysystem.com/

These work great and Tom is a great guy to deal with.