turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Muscadines - Anybody grow them?

Started by lightsoutcalls, April 01, 2013, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I just ordered 4 muscadine vines to plant in my yard.  I had a mature vine (about 6-8 years old) that my wife decided didn't need to be growing next to a pine tree in the yard a few years ago...  :o  The year before she cut it down, it produced about 4-5 gallons of black muscadines, and was transplanted there from the woods near my uncle's house.  We have had another muscadine vine entangling itself in the lattice around our deck.  It has never produced, but this will be its 3rd year growing, so I hope it produces this year.

I ordered 2 bronze variety vines and 2 black variety from a place in Brooks, GA.  I also ordered some thornless blackberry vines that were actually developed here at the University of Arkansas agriculture program. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BamaProud

Wild ones grow all over the place on our farm in South Alabama. 
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

Shellwaster

I've got them growing wild in the woods behind my house and if I can keep my dog from eating them I like to pick a few while I'm doing yard work. Of course the deer make short work of them once they begin to ripen.

redarrow

Are Muscadines the little ones about the size of a pea ? Kinda sour ?

Gooserbat

I wish they grew wild this far north, but I have to go about 100 miles farther south to get them.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

barry

We planted some muscadines several years ago. Got the from Vernon Barnes nursery in Tenn.
Very pretty grape but skin is thick and meat is rubbery and bitter. Hope yours are better.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: barry on April 01, 2013, 03:52:41 PM
We planted some muscadines several years ago. Got the from Vernon Barnes nursery in Tenn.
Very pretty grape but skin is thick and meat is rubbery and bitter. Hope yours are better.

There are some varieties that you are supposed to be able to eat the skins, but all that I have ever had do have tough skins.  The best way I have found to eat them fresh is bite in, suck out the juice, savor the flavor and spit out the rest.  The seeds are supposed to have nutritional value, but only when crushed.  The skins are also supposed to have nutritional value, but have to be dried and powdered from what I have read.

The size of the smallest ripe muscadines I have seen are about the size of a penny.  There are larger varieties.  We always called the little grapes "possum grapes".  They are a completely different fruit. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Possum grapes are what I was thinking of.