OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pocket Knife: Past / Present / Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, August 10, 2023, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Who all carries an everyday pocket knife? What brand of knife and do you carry one for sentimental reasons, like it belonged to a past family member or you just like  a certain brand of knife. Do you have a favorite pocket knife or several knives, lock blade, clip pocket style, single, 2 blade or 3 blade.  Do you carry some kind of hunting knife in your vest or satchel?
For everyday carry i carry an old case knife that belonged to my father - law that my wife gave me after her father passed away several years ago.
I also sometimes carry a clip on the pocket style single blade sometimes also.
In my satchel for turkey season i carry a Buck 110 ... I also carry a buck 110 in my backpack that i use for deer hunting, that my brother gave me as a teenager. It's the first Buck 110 that I ever owned. Lots of sentimental value in both the old case knife and the first Buck 110 .... I also collect a few other knives.... Case being one of them etc...

That first Buck 110 Dates back to the late 60's ... Buck 110 came out in 1964...

zelmo1

I carry a lockback Puma that my ex mother in law bought me 30 years ago, functionality not sentiment, lol. My work knife is a Benchmade semi serrated lockback that my crew bought me 15 years ago. That one is a great knife and it was personalized for me by them, so that means something to me. The rest are basic utiltarian knives and a leatherman. Z

NCL

I usually only carry a knife when I am hunting and or fishing. The knife I carry is a Buck 110 folding knife that I bought for deer hunting probably back in the 70's but I do not remember. I also sometimes carry a Leatherman instead of the Buck because of the added features. It depends what I grab on the way out the door because the Buck and the Leatherman are together.

Yoder409

Carry a Spyderco Delica pocket clip all the time.   It's boring plastic and stainless.   Just not much else can compare to the edge on those things.

When I was younger, my pocket knife was always an Schrade/Old Timer 3-blade Trapper.

Hunting, I carry a Gerber Gator folder in a belt case.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

hoythunter

Carry a buck bantam 285 with plastic handle and belt clip everyday. For me it's just the right size and lightweight. For hunting I'll carry a larger bantam 286 that is still light for its size.

kennedyh1990

During turkey season I carry an Old Timer Pro Hunter style knife with a deer antler handle and a leather sheath. My dad got me that knife when I was young. I've probably had it for close to 20 years. I've cleaned every turkey I've ever killed with it. That's about all I use it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Browning Black Label Duration is daily carry, Leatherman is in Turkey vest in spring then in pack for deer hunting along with fixed blade for gutting.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Big Jeremy

I carry a Civivi Elementum II everyday. It's a belt clip single blade lockback. Kind of like a poor man's benchmade...great knife. I love it. I don't like a knife being too deep in my pocket.

I occasionally carry a case that belonged to my grandfather, mainly on Sunday mornings to church. I'd carry it more often, but I use a pocket knife multiple times throughout any given day and prefer the quick, convenient pocket clip for faster access, opening, closing, etc.

I carry a USA made Buck bantam 285 when hunting instead of my Civivi. I keep a Gerber lockback in my turkey vest/satchel, and this coming deer season I'll have a no-name Damascus-like fixed blade (was a gift that was ordered on Amazon, and surprisingly an excellent knife that is strong and keeps a great edge) in my deer pack.

Sometimes I'll throw a havalon along with replacement blades in my deer pack if I'm going to be a significant distance from my truck. Otherwise, it stays in my truck. I use it for most of my deer butchering and turkey cleaning.

As for collecting, I don't buy many knives these days unless I have a purpose in mind for them. I do have several sentimental knives that belonged to family members that I don't carry...mostly Case.

Thanks for reviving this thread, Greg! (I think it was you that started a similar discussion at some point in the past.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Case trapper for everyday use and I skin deer with that old buck 110 ???? had it a long time!!

Tnandy

I carry a 3 bladed white case stockman everyday. Bought it myself, no sentimental attachments. But I do feel naked without it. For skinning deer, I have me dandy fixed blade Boker that can hold an awesome edge. 

Tail Feathers

I carry a KaBar Dozier single blade knife daily.  Thru losing, replacing and finding them, I have three now.   ;D

In my hunting pack, I still carry a KaBar that is a Buck 110 clone that I got in 1974.  It's been used on most every deer I've ever killed, even if for just one slice these days.  I like a replaceable blade knife for deer these days.  But they don't have soul like the traditional knives.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tom007

I carry this Puma occasionally. It's an older knife but has a solid blade that does hold edge.....
"Solo hunter"

Farmboy27

I carry a pocket knife at all times. But I go through so many between construction work and farming that there is no one certain brand.  It's basically just what strikes my fancy when I need a new one because I broke or lost the last one. For hunting it's a gerber gatermate that I bought when I was 14 years old and has gutted more deer than I care to think about!  The blade is only half what it once was from all the sharpenings.

paboxcall

I everyday carry a Case peanut two blade with stag horn handles I bought at the factory probably 25 years ago, and a Benchmade mini Nitrous assisted open with a tanto blade. The peanut is for daily chores, and that handle worn about smooth.

Hunting blade is a Case small Finn fixed blade.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

eggshell

My every day pocket knife is a casse XX that I have had for years, but it's about my third one as I usually hone them away to nothing or break/lose them.

My game knives I clean turkeys with is another story. I have two Scagle style lives made by my wife's late uncle and one of my best hunting buddies ever. If any of you are collectors you may have heard of Holbert Knives. He made these especially for me and I cherish them deeply. He made me promise to use them and not just stuff them away as collectables. I honor his wishes and clean my turkeys with them, but they don't get everyday use, no way that's happening. Here they are: