turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts on this......

Started by darron, February 25, 2012, 07:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

I had a guy tell me this on another forum about 20ga turkey guns...

"This sounds all well and good, but there is a reason more people do not use a 20 gauge and that is not because of pellet count but because of penatration.  With the larger gauges their is more powder giving a better penatrating load.  also, you are asking for everything to be perfect with a twenty gauge, most times you do not have a gobbler standing still waiting for the shot but the bird is moving.  In the right situation a 20 gauge will kill a bird dead just as quick as a 12 but that is if everything is perfect.?"

I have always thought a pellet leaving the muzzle at 1100 fps, no matter if it is a 20ga or 10ga, will still hit the same (if it's the same pellet). If a 10ga load leaves the barrel at 1200fps and a 12ga load leaves at 1200 fps they both will hit the same. The only thing you are gaining is # of shot. Is this true or am I wrong?

K9Doc

Same pellet size and density at equivalent velocity equals identical penetration and energy.  Not only is this common sense, but Physics.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Dbrnmllr

Sounds like this guy needs to study a few of Newtons laws!

Curtdawg88

I guess this just goes to show that not every forum is as good as this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

darron

what I thought.....

And yes, this forum is top notch!

jtharpe

thay guy does not have a clue. Problem is alot of people will probably belive him.

R AJ

Absolute positive even smells bad BS here . Maybe you should start out just shooting smaller turkeys at first just to be sure though. At close range of course!  :TooFunny: :goofball: :funnyturkey:
That guy knows absolutely nothing about guns and if he knows as much about turkey hunting he couldn't kill one in a pen much less out in the woods.

surehuntsalot

same power,just less pellets in the pattern
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

Quote from: K9Doc on February 25, 2012, 07:10:46 PM
Same pellet size and density at equivalent velocity equals identical penetration and energy.  Not only is this common sense, but Physics.
:icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!