turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg help 835 vrs 535

Started by Basser69, February 23, 2012, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

I cannot see and difference in the two guns except the price tag. Any help would be appreciated.

mcgruff1533

835 has a 10 gauge bore diameter... 535 is a standard 12 gauge bore diameter.

835 is heavier, and costs a bit more.

Both the 835 and 535 are chambered for 3.5" shells.    The 835 SHOULD NOT fire slugs due to the barrel ID being larger than a 12 gauge slug.

If you're planning on making a combo Turkey/ Home Defense gun, do not plan on shooting slugs from a 835.    I bought a 535 with the intention of having a dual purpose gun.    Your plans might be different.

Basser69

Thanks for the info! Me and a buddy here at work could not figure it out

knotheadedfool

my 500 patterns better than my 835 ever did

goblr77

Quote from: knotheadedfool on February 23, 2012, 02:59:39 PM

If that's the case your 835 wasn't choked correctly.

knotheadedfool

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

chatterbox

Opinions will vary on this topic, but I have owned a 535, and sold it because I couldn't get it to pattern worth a darn.
I tried everything. Polished barrel, multiple chokes, different loads, you name it.
I sold it, and bought an 835, and the patterns are MUCH better.
I haven't looked back. Much happier with my 835.

grousec

The 835 is quite a bit heavier than the 535. That makes it have less felt recoil especially if shooting 3 1/2.  The 535 would get the nod if you do a lot of run-n-gun type hunting because it is lighter.  But I like the 835 better myself.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: goblr77 on February 23, 2012, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: knotheadedfool on February 23, 2012, 02:59:39 PM

If that's the case your 835 wasn't choked correctly.

+1 Amen to that
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Trax

Quote from: grousec on February 23, 2012, 10:32:43 PM
The 835 is quite a bit heavier than the 535. That makes it have less felt recoil especially if shooting 3 1/2. 

Im sure there are some numbers out there to prove the whole "less felt recoil" thing, but it's still going to kick like heck when you're patterning. I cant tell a difference, so I wouldnt use that as a reason to buy one over the other. Patterns though, big difference.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Perry296

I had a 535 and that was the most painful gun I have ever shot and I didn't get very good patterns out if it my 835 does alot better

Mike Honcho

Basser there is a ton of info on this site regarding 835's and excellent choke combos for the gun. If you are mainly using it for turkey I would give the 835 the nod due to the larger bore diameter several have mentioned= excellent patterns with the right turkey load and choke.  I have the 24" ported  barrel model , camo and to me it feels like it is lightweight...maybe because my other turkey gun is a BPS 10gauge!

Mimosa Gobbler

I have a 500 turkey and a 835 ultimag with a stardot in both. Barrels have been polished and the 500new puts up consistently better numbers than the 835 with lead.

"My cup is always half full because I have already drank the other half!"