OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SS Box Calls

Started by Spyder, February 26, 2016, 07:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder

Im about to place an order and can't decide between wood combos. I thought I would post and see if anyone has run either and has a recommendation. Limba/Jatoba or Butternut/Maple? What's you thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Butternut maple is a great call. Bought one for my son and it sings! I am a big Jatoba fan, but never heard it with limba. I am sure both would be killer coming from Mr. Al and Josh but I can only really tell you how good the butternut/maple is. You will not go wrong with either.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jbird

You won't go wrong with any call from Al and Josh but their Kwila/Butternut is about as good as it gets.  :z-twocents:

packmule

I have the limba/jatoba combo you are asking about.  It's a beautiful call and sounds great.  I'd order that call again in a second.  But as previously stated, you're going to get a good call no matter what you order.  If I were you I'd just think about which combo you like the looks of best because the sound quality will be great either way.

Jroddc

I can't speak for the combos you mentioned but I can say that I have a purple heart and butternut that's phenomenal.

outdoors

U KNOW I HAVE TO AGREE WITH PACKMULE
JUST DECIDE  THE WOOD YOU LIKE AND AL
WILL MAKE IT TALK TURKEY , TURKEY , TURKEY
WELL THERE IS SOME TONE DIFFERENCE   :gobble:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

wvlimbhanger

I have a butternut box with kwila paddle and a mineral poplar box and maple paddle.  They are both outstanding calls.  I also have a butternut box with purple heart top and a few scratchers being built as I type this. 

As mentioned above, Al and Josh make exception calls regardless of the wood combination.  I would give them a call or send a PM though here explaining what sound, tone, or pitch you are wanting and they will point you where you need to go.

eddie234

I have a butternut/cherry. Outstanding!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

nyhunter

Best thing you can do is buy both now, cause your gonna any way. That way your ahead of the rush this spring.  I  have several SS calls and there all awesome sounding.

greentag

i also say just pick what you like,it will be a killer for sure,i have the kwila/butternut,and just got a purpleheart/limba both sound different but both are great,you cant go wrong in what ever you pick,and im sure you could tell al what sound you like best and he would tell what he thinks would be best.i love both of mine.

grayfox

I've had three different ones & they all were good but my favorite is the butternut box & kwila paddle.

TauntoHawk

I've had a kwila over black limba, yellowheart over mineral poplar, and paduak over mineral poplar.. One of the two poplars is in the woods with me every single hunt. 

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spyder

Well, I just told Al to pick what he thought would be best sounding and easiest to run. After all, he is the professional. Can't wait to get it, I'll post some pics when it gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimerhorn

I have the butternut/maple and love it. Dont think you can go wrong with anything from AL and Josh

twinters

I have 2 call from AL,and Josh that I wouldn't think of going to the woods without...Al is an incredible call maker,and a heck of a nice guy...I will guarantee anything you get will be amazing.My 2 calls are maple over butternut,and kwila over limba,both are outstanding...by the way I build calls also,and prefer his any day!!!